What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

seat adjustmentt

egp8111

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm trying to get comfortable in my 4 project. Leg room is fine but I feel like Im setting too close to the instrument panel even with a very thin back cushion. A parachute would make it much worse. It just feels like I'm setting up too straight. I want to recline the seat back. Is there anyway to do this without having to move the roll bar?(it can only move about an 11/2in anyway before it interferes with the canopy cross section. I'm 6 ft. and 190 lbs. normal dimensions
any suggestions ?
Thanks
Skip
NC

Skip, you forget how close I am to you..I'm 6'1" 200 lbs. Come sit in my plane..I have done a couple things to make mine a little better than plans , without compromising rear stick. Plan on having a pair of readers with you. Depending on your instrument set up, a displaced center panel could be built, but the seat can't be moved back too much without making the rear stick unusable, and the roll bar geometry significantly re-done.

I thought the same thing when I bought my RV4 last summer, so I moved the front seat back. I moved the bottom hinge back 1 1/2 inches, and the upper seat back support back 2 1/2 inches. This gave me 1 1/2" more leg room with 1 inch more rake - quite comfortable. I'm 6'1", 195 lbs. It did require rebuilding the support structure under the seat back support/roll bar for rollover protection, and I had to move the canopy cross brace aft 2 inches. It took me a couple weeks to figure this out and implement it, but it was worth it. Also, unless I modify the back seat stick, I can't use it because of interference with the forward seat back. It's still great for giving rides, but the back seater won't be flying unless I modify that stick. That's not important to me anyway.

I'll be at Oshkosh all week this summer (with a for sale sign on it) if you want to try it on for size.

I'm 6'2", 34" inseam. While building it I moved the roll bar back 2". One other thing you may try, is instead of having the seat lean against the roll bar, put the top of the seat behind the roll bar, and bolt it on. That will recline your position some. I haven't done that, but just throwing it out there. Ps-I wear a chute all the time.

I think maybe the seat back behind the rollbar bar might be a help. Bill, I'll be in touch about coming over for a visit to pick you brain. (I'll bring the Moon Pies)
Thanks all
Skip
(hoping for the first engine start next week :)

Back