What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Stabilization

Tbone

Well Known Member
I went out to hanger this week to do some spring cleaning and revive some of my gasoline powered equipment. One piece of equipment was run about two years ago and had regular fuel (ethanol based), and the other was an old gas powered compressor that hadn't run in over 15+ years. Probably was filled up with pre ethanol fuel. I drained both units and the ethanol based fuel had of course smelled very old and brown. The 15+ fuel still smelled like it was just poured up. I plan on flushing both systems and replacing fuel lines on both units. My plan is to put non-ethanol premium fuel in and some type of fuel stabilizer. Is this a good plan? Any other suggestions?

I do two things for low utilization equipment (like the tiller I use once a year).

1) Empty the fuel system (including the lines and bowl) before storing it.

2) Install a shut-off valve on the fuel line. When I'm done using the device, I close the valve and let the motor run until it dies from fuel starvation.

3) (Notice I went past the two items I promised?) For equipment that has been stored for a while, I use a shot of engine starting fluid on the first post-storage start. Seems to help start an engine where some of the more volatile fuel fractions have evaporated away.

100LL

I just use a gas. It doesn't need stabilization and has worked great for lots of years

Gary Specketer

100LL

I just use a gas. It doesn't need stabilization and has worked great for lots of years

Gary Specketer

The airport I am based also uses 100LL in its portable handheld engine devices. They have NO issues with letting stuff sit all winter and after months of inactivity everything works fine just like it was run yesterday.

100LL

All my lawn equipment,4 wheelers and old Harleys have 100LL in them year round. Its cheaper than fixing ethanol/gas blunders and smells good too...I use enough in my RV to have plenty of leftover around in a can.

STA-bil fuel stabilizer works as advertised and is available just about anywhere that sells auto/boat/lawnmower parts and/or car/boat accessories.

I just mix a little Marvel mystery oil in the fuel. I have a generator that runs maybe once a year. Same fuel for a few years at a time. Starts first pull every time.
I dont know how or why it works... but it does.

Dm

Information

I read that most fuel stabilizer is 95% kerosene. It keeps the fuel from oxidizing and deteriorating. I'm nervous to put 100LL in it but definitely understand the benefits. Not sure what the detriment would be...

Same here - run my lawn tractor and mower and chain saw on avgas.

Good point about putting a fuel tap on if you can, some of these carburettors don't seal that well and you can get fuel in the sump. Burns off when running but doesn't do any good.

Avgas is just so much more stable than mogas, yes there is lead in it, but none of our small motors have catalysers in them so it isn't an issue.

I do two things for low utilization equipment (like the tiller I use once a year).

1) Empty the fuel system (including the lines and bowl) before storing it.

2) Install a shut-off valve on the fuel line. When I'm done using the device, I close the valve and let the motor run until it dies from fuel starvation.

3) (Notice I went past the two items I promised?) For equipment that has been stored for a while, I use a shot of engine starting fluid on the first post-storage start. Seems to help start an engine where some of the more volatile fuel fractions have evaporated away.

This is a bad idea (IMO) - elastomers will dry & harden worse without gasoline in contact. All of my small stuff has total loss oil system (2 and 4 stroke) and the oil contains stabilizer. Most have a shut off. Use non ethanol mogas and leave the tank full at the end of a season. The snowblower has the worst duty cycle. Each one will start quicker and run fine this way. If I had issues a switch to 100ll would be in order. No worse for deposits than oil mix. Even my 1963 lawn boy mower starts first couple of pulls each season. I do take 3 cc of gas and inject it into the intake for first seasonal start, but that is the only device w/o a choke. Even my old leaf blower just started on third pull after sitting for 3 years (or was it 5 yrs?).

If they leak down, evaporate and leave residuals definitely bad. Stabilizer (of some sort) is the way to go.

Last edited:
every fall or spring i totally fill the tank of whatever with premium no lead gas to let it sit the off season. in 40 yrs. without fail the engines start right up the following season.[ethanol wasn't an issue 40 yrs ago].
if something didn't run during its regular season i drain the gas [into my car] and refill the tank and run the engine long enough to get fresh gas into the carb. i don't think it is a good idea to let the fuel system set dry for 6 months.

Gary Specketer

Ditto for me!

I'm sick and tired of that ethanol **** messing up my equipment! I wish our president would get rid of that junk! Corn lobby be damned!

Last edited:
Back