What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Proseal on the rudder , why? ℹ

romanov

Well Known Member
Guys,

I am studying the rudder construction and reading
dozen of threads here and still can not get it: why
is it required to proseal the rudder?

Thanks in Advance.
Roman

Last edited:
Are you talking about the dab of Proseal at the trailing edge of the stiffeners?
I believe there was an issue with some rudder skins cracking near the ends of the stiffeners over the long term and the dab of Proseal was used to help prevent that.

I had a very early RV-9A kit and ProSeal was not specified when building the rudder and other control surfaces. I believe it was added a year or so later to help hold everything in place before riveting the trailing edge. Although I completed the parts without ProSeal and they came out OK, if I did it again, I would use ProSeal. I think the end result would be a nicer looking trailing edge.

Are you talking about the dab of Proseal at the trailing edge of the stiffeners?
I believe there was an issue with some rudder skins cracking near the ends of the stiffeners over the long term and the dab of Proseal was used to help prevent that.

Thanks, so it is just a bit of proseal on the trailing edge, and the other trailing edge parts e.g. wing edge does not need that?

My plans

The 9 plans i have say to only proseL the rudder and elevator. Doesnt say anything about the ailerons. But i prosealed the ailerons and flaps and they came out nearly perfect.

Back