VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-28-2018, 01:15 PM

Default CoRV-4

I've got a line in a project rv-4 for 1500 and I just bought a half converted corvair engine for 600. I'm going to build it single place and dirt simple. W&B should work out perfectly with nobody in the back. I've never heard of a corvair rv anything, it will be wimpy but quite affordable and still a great airplane. Am I really the first?

Built/Own RV-4 254MM
Owned RV-6 4074V
First RV RV-3 3456B

VAF annual donation on autopay
Old 01-28-2018, 06:33 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Sounds similar to the Panther.

https://flywithspa.com/

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 01-28-2018, 10:48 PM

I think you can build the Corvair up to 130 hp. Keep the airplane light and simple, and it will probably be a dream to fly. Won't have the top speed, but I bet it climbs great, and lands VERY slow.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:04 PM

Default Hours of Power...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceMe View Post
I've got a line in a project rv-4 for 1500 and I just bought a half converted corvair engine for 600. I'm going to build it single place and dirt simple. W&B should work out perfectly with nobody in the back. I've never heard of a corvair rv anything, it will be wimpy but quite affordable and still a great airplane. Am I really the first?
Bruce,
I inspected two different RV4's with alternative engines over the years, both Mazda rotaries based on Tracy Crooks plans and reduction drive. Both flew well and were flying (like my RV4) for south of Twenty grand. A Cor-Four, should be similar cost.

As you well know, William Wynne's Corvair U has many success stories including a Pietenpol with 1000 hours. More recently though, sixteen Zenith 600 series builders chose the Corvair as well as numerous Dan Weseman's Panther customers. I've known Dan for 15 years and have seen his Fifth Bearing mod to the Corvair up close as well as 2 flying Panthers. My favorite though is the Bearhawk LSA with the 120HP Corvair.

Here is a great link to flying airplanes: https://flycorvair.net/category/flying-planes/

Having now owned and flown a 1835VW powered Sonerai 2 that handled like my RV4 but cost 1/4 to own and fly, I can totally relate with and encourage your progress...

V/R
Smokey

Last edited by smokyray : 01-29-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:00 AM

Default Thanks Smokey

Smokey,

I plan to use PSA/Panther's 5th bearing, I met him at OSH17 and I also talked with William at length too. William doesn't know of any RVs that are Corvair powered yet, other than a guy building a twin RV-6A I also met there.

I'll start simple and just get it in the air stock 100hp. But I really want a flying test bed for lots of weird ideas... The ultimate goal would be to evaluate ultra efficient/hybrid electric-turbo-compound.

Imagine a simplest turbo-charger, no waste gate or intercooler. Now; oversize turbine section as big as possible and add a 40kw dynamo/generator running off the turbine shaft.

Under power the oversized turbine is compressing the intake as "turbo-normal" (~32") and it's also acting like a gas generator extracting an additional 20% of heat energy from the exhaust and putting it into the dynamo to generate electricity. That energy is buffered with a small 2-kwh lifepo4 battery and capacitors and pushed through an ESC to a 40kw motor on the back of the crankshaft.

The last piston-engine technology used all mechanical turbo-compounding to drive the turbine back to the output shaft for power. It was messy and complicated mechanically, but it did boost efficiency by 15%.

I know it's not the easiest, but it is interesting.

Built/Own RV-4 254MM
Owned RV-6 4074V
First RV RV-3 3456B

Old 01-30-2018, 01:51 PM

Default SPA

I put a Corvair on my Sonex and used Dan's first generation 5th bearing. You can't go wrong with Dan and his products and support.

Have you considered his 3.3L option?

BTW, Dan is one of my best friends so my opinions might be somewhat biased...
RV-4 O-360 FP (Sold)
Orlando, FL
Old 01-31-2018, 02:18 PM

I only listen to biased opinions.

I'm actually considering going totally stock 2700 (mostly cause that's what I have) and for strength when I put a turbo on it. As you get bigger and bigger, the margin for cracking between the machined out case/head and the cylinder stud bolts is paper thin. I may tare it down later, but till I know I really want it, I'll leave it 2700cc.

Built/Own RV-4 254MM
Owned RV-6 4074V
First RV RV-3 3456B

Last edited by BruceMe : 02-01-2018 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:45 PM

Hey Bruce,

We try to host an alt engine get-together here in Mississippi at least once a year. So far it's been mostly rotary guys, but they aren't bigots; they welcome all versions of alt engines. I'd like to expand the gathering to a lot of other engine types.

If you're up for a road trip, watch this space; I'll post an invite a month or so before the actual event. We usually do them in late May, but sometimes in September. Depends on scheduling for those who have a strong desire to attend.

And Smokey, you no longer have an excuse; I expect to see you here next time. ;-)

Charlie
Slobovia Outerntional (MS71)
RV-7 Mazda Renesis FWF in progress
Old 01-31-2018, 07:37 PM

Default Robin's RV-3

Bruce - this might be helpful:

Amateur Plane - RV-9A N789PH - 2050+ Hrs
Amateur Radio - KD0CVN
Doggies Delivered - 25+
St. Paul, MN
Old 02-01-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
Hey Bruce,

We try to host an alt engine get-together here in Mississippi at least once a year.
What time of year? If I fly in on a Lycoming IO-320 RV-4 will I be thrown into the creek?

-Bruce

Built/Own RV-4 254MM
Owned RV-6 4074V
First RV RV-3 3456B