What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another Order of Operations Question...

wfinnell

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

I think I need a sanity check. I want to start out by saying that I have pretty much made up my mind to wait until almost everything else is done before I start worrying about avionics. I'm a VERY slow builder and they keep coming out with better stuff.

So I just made the big cut on my canopy last night. It seems like I need to rivet on the front skin so that I can install the wind screen so that I can finish the canopy and skirt and associated fiberglass work.

I have heard, and I think it says it in the instructions, that it is best to wait until as late as possible to install the front top skin to allow access for installing avionics and other systems. I have added the front baggage compartment access door. It looks to me like with the instrument panel removed and the baggage panel open, I should have pretty good access.

Here is the order that I am planning:
1) Finish the canopy and skirt
2) Forward top skin
3) Windscreen and Windscreen faring
4) Landing gear, wheels, brakes
5) Gear leg fairings
6) Engine
7) Engine Cowling
8) Finish firewall forward
9) Avionics
10) To airport for final assembly

Should I move items 2 and 3 to later in the list? If so where?

Thanks in advance,

I was struggling with the same thing. I've finished the canopy and skirt but not the forward part of the canoppy, skin, or baggage door. Instead I've moved on to the firewall forward, I've got the cowling completed and a good portion of the baffles without any ill effect that I can see at this point. I have just clecoed on the forward skin while I'm working on the cowling and firewall forward. Be aware the forward baggage area of the firewall is fairly flexible if you have already cut out your baggage door. If you haven't cut it out, I would leave it in while you work on the cowling. I'm saving avionics for last just as you are.

I may have a different perspective than others, but I'm a fan of finushingvtte airframe before doing much avionics planning. If you can install it in a finished airframe, you can service it in a finished airframe. Especially in the -8, the whole rear panel area is open, so there is great access. With the modern systems of remote modules, the lower right portion of the front baggage area works great for mounting modules. Having just completely upgraded an -8 panel in a flying plane, it can all be done in a finished airframe. The things to plan for are any glareshield mounting (defrost fan, GPS antennas, etc.) and some wire routing. Beyond that build on is my recommendation.

I have seen way to many panels with expired warranties and dated equipment before first flight. It's a good choice to do avionics last.

Like Jesse said. Finish and do the avionics when you get to it. Here however ditch the old school concepts of how to install a panel. It is very easy now to have fully removable panels where most of the cross panel wiring is done. For my RV-10 I had two Molex plugs for power, and two 25 pin D connectors for everything else. The Dynon SkyView has it's own connectors. The full panel comes out in 20 minutes.

So - doing this you have full access to the area behind the panel for construction, for maintenance and for the panel upgrade that tends to come sooner than you would think.

Do install the needed conduit and such before you put the floor in for the last time. It does not hurt to figure out where you want to install the ADAHRS modules to build a platform - many put this right behind the baggage compartment.

Carl

Another perspective

I am a huge admirer of Jesse Saint, and I see the wisdom in his perspective on this, but I simply don't have the skills and flexibility to do the wiring after the fact.

I have ran into a kind of Catch-22. I am doing all of the wiring and hardware required to mount the avionics, but I know that I will have to remove much of it in order to rivet the forward top skin. I also guarantee that I will have to use some pulled rivets to get that done. Then it will be a challenge to get the wiring back in place to do the install, with that skin in place.

For myself, I can't even imagining not having planned the equipment in detail before finishing some one-way items. Someone mentioned the floors, but I would certainly add to that the side covers above the wing spar.

My QB was shipped with the top tailcone skin off, so I was able to do all of the tailcone wiring before closing that up. I have made everything serviceable that I can, but I can't imagine having to do what I did inside of a finished tailcone.

Back