My plate was cracked and I'm almost finished with the SB. Since finishing my project 3 years ago, I've been retired and maintaining my '10 as required.
I have <$100 spent on the work plus more hours of my own time than I care to count. It hasn't been fun work but I built the '10 to spend personal time in and on so I could possibly account for the time as income.
I planned to start my condition inspection at the end of September and complete it by now but as soon as I saw the cracks, removal of the engine began.
Once the engine and mount were off and cleaned up, I called a neighbor who acted as my Tech Advisor during construction to inspect and advise. I knew he was an experienced aircraft welder and restorer and hoped he would offer to do the welding. He took the time to understand the SB and the job, explained to me how the frame and the plate had to be prepared and worked to ensure a high quality weld. I stripped the paint, did some grinding and otherwise got intimate with it all.
However my meticulous neighbor indicated that his TIG welder needed factory adjustment because "it wouldn't hold a steady spark". Instead, he suggested that another neighbor be engaged and told me that he would take the job over to him and tell him what needed to be done.
He did that and I went over to 'watch' the actual welding and to act as an intelligent work holder. The actual welding took 15-20 mins with the only glitch being contamination from the oil inside the frame.
The welder then suggested I have the whole mount blasted and powder coated by a guy up the road who does reasonable work. He then showed me an example of another engine mount.
It turned out to be Atlantic Refinishers of Creedmoor NC. I met the owner at the shop door and he said he'd do it in 3 days for $80 but he couldn't match my color. Gray would be fine.
I've reinstalled the mount, the nose gear and the engine using the old hardware and elastomers. None of it was broke, all was within service limits (2 washers), and all of it is easily replaced with new at any time.
So far it's cost me $80 + 2nd day air of the SB + cotter pins and a whole lot of not so enjoyable hours. I'm slow and careful but have to admit it is satisfying getting it back together. And maybe I've cured a persistent but unidentified minor oil leak(s) I've had since Phase 1. Heading back out in few minutes to do sensor wiring.
Some random notes:
The original problem is a small design oversight. Rough fields combined with play in the shock assembly slowly crack the assembly. My guess is that all installations will eventually crack without the SB though it may exceed the life of the aircraft. Keep the play out and apply the SB as writter, no problems.
Pulling the engine without detaching the mount to do the work could save some $$$ in contracted out work. For the home maintainer you are not saving anything and just making things more difficult IMHO.
An earlier experience with a second hanging of the engine suggested that keeping the prop mounted made rehanging the engine much more difficult. Impossible for me, but that may have just been me. It also may mean that keeping the engine attached to the mount for the SB work, and keeping the prop mounted, does in fact make things a bit easier but I don't know.
RV10inOZ is telling it like it is. For the hobbyist like me whose consumption of personal time is close to costless or even rewarding, experimental maintenance can be cheaper than the car I won't work on.
Living on an airpark with talented neighbors is fantastic. I had 3 welders available. My retired next door neighbor who has a well used TIG outfit lacked aircraft quality skills. My other neighbors are highly skilled and experienced and retired as well. I just hope to be able to return the favors going forward.