What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

High-back or Rocket canopy frame info

chris mitchell

Well Known Member
I have reached that happy point where I am beginning to work on the canopy. I have a lovely canopy from Todd Silver which I have put in place on the fuselage to help me gauge what I need to do.

I have some parts from an RV-4 bubble frame - basically the front and rear bows and the center frame, but no tubing or angle.

I have read and looked at all the info I can find but still wold like to know more before starting any fabrication.

I need to end up with sufficient headroom in front - I'm 6'2" and usually wear a helmet. Quite happy with a flopper rather than tip-up or slider.

Currently I plan to position the front edge of the canopy as far forward as possible, and to trim as little as possible of the sides and rear - ie to maximise the size of canopy and hence visibility.

I plan to use 3/4x3/4x1/16 angle along the tops of the fuselage longerons and build up from there. I was going to use parts of the rear bw to build up to the level of the top of the skirt/bottom of canopy, and then bend tubing to make the remainder of the rear part of the frame. THe front bow I can use in its entirety.

I was going to bend tube to make the sides of bottom of the canopy (top of the skirt). But if the canopy itself extends forward onto the front deck, do I need to continue those tube along there as well? What about where the canopy sits down onto the deck at the front - do I need some sort of lip for it to fit into or just make use of the skirt to create an adequate seal?

Be really grateful for info and pictures on how other folks have done this. I have looked at what has been posted here but need more detail if possible.

Many thanks

Chris

Back