What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel selector valve

Can a standared vans fuel valve be removed , and a valve of some make be installed where you can select right,or left or both tanks or is this not a good idea on a rv4 or any low wing plane

Lots of people upgrade to an Andair valve that has clear markings and positive indents for each tank. No you don't want to use a "both" setting.

Read the sticky thread just above this one.

Love my Andair

I swapped out my standard Vans valve for an Andair and it is wonderful. Way better action than the original. I did have to rework the fuel lines, etc. But this is a wonderful upgrade.
As stated lots of other places, you do not want to have a BOTH selection. Andair makes the valve you need. Vans sells them, Andair wedsite sells them and you can purchase them at their booth at big shows.
The Andair does have interchangeable connection fittings so think through your retro-install and see what type fitting work best for your install.

The reason we're all advising against a "both" selection is, without extra venting and tank interconnection they won't feed right and you can actually end up with no fuel feed at all. I replaced my Van's valve with an Andair "7 Series" valve and it's great.

Last edited:
I've used the standard 'Vans' valve for 17 years and it has worked great. :)

We all tend to justify our own path and decisions.

My Van's valve needed rebuilding. I bought the Andair.
After examining it's complexity compared to the Van's valve, I bought a new Van's valve for $50 rather than take the time to rebuild the old one.

The Andair is a nice product, feels great, looks great, and people are very happy with them.

I sold the Andair in about two minutes after posting it for sale here

700 hours on the old Van's valve and it just needed an o-ring. If I get the time I will rebuild it and sell it.

I've used the standard 'Vans' valve for 17 years and it has worked great. :)

We all tend to justify our own path and decisions.

My Van's valve needed rebuilding. I bought the Andair.
After examining it's complexity compared to the Van's valve, I bought a new Van's valve for $50 rather than take the time to rebuild the old one.

The Andair is a nice product, feels great, looks great, and people are very happy with them.

I sold the Andair in about two minutes after posting it for sale here

700 hours on the old Van's valve and it just needed an o-ring. If I get the time I will rebuild it and sell it.

I wasn't justifying my choice, just providing another data point. If someone wants to spend the $$$'s on the Andair valve, I'm fine with that.

But as you pointed out, the Vans valve is capable of delivering reliable service without shelling out big bucks.

Back