What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N921MS is an airplane again - now named PH-EIL

Jumbo

Well Known Member
I am glad to say that N921MS is an airplane again - now named PH-EIL (which is close to the German word PFEIL which means arrow).

It took the authorities 11 month to issue the paperwork and so the plane was sitting on the ground (ready to fly) since April last year however fully insured for 2 pilots and so to say ´I had the missing papers very well insured for the period´ – wasted money ….

Anyway we made ´2nd´ 1st flight yesterday:

iyesmv.jpg

Yes!! That plane is fun and flies awesome (I have never flown any RV before): very responsive and efficient ie. at 5000FT with 2400RPM and 21" MAP (that is exactly 65% power) it indicates 140 kts which is a good 150 kts TAS and I used just less then 6.5 gals (conservatively leaned) for going from EHLE to EDLT (ca. 95NM) at 160 kts ground speed (slight tail wind) and doing 2 more traffic circuits.

Seating is good and does not feel camped at all (I am 6 ft 2 inch at 210 lbs) only the angle of the back rest might be adjusted backwards a little if still possible.

Landings are getting better (1st taildragger landings since 2005) and I will get myself really current in the next days. Now some work on the panel and it will be perfect.

Mark - if and when you read this: you did a **** of a job on the N921MS and I can´t be happier!

Glad that I could become ´a real member of the RV community´.

Best, Heinz
P.S. And the new name is: Blue Wonder (check for the ´Wooden Wonder´ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Mosquito !!)

Last edited:
Congratulations!

We were wondering how long you would have to wait. Mark's new RV-8 is flying and was mentioned on the front page of Doug's VAF news a few weeks ago. He definitely does good work!

N921MS is an airplane AGAIN ...

Pierre,

sure - the plane has been taken off the FAA register when it was exported to The Netherlands (and Mark who built it is flying his recently finished -8 with the same registration actually).

The FAA actually mails the ?off registry report? to the recieving country which they believed was Germany as I am German and I am living in this very country. However as we stated the plane went to The Netherlands as we were assembling it there and as it should go on the Dutch register (you can?t register a forign experimental in Germany - don?t ask me why). So we had to obtain confirmation from the Germans that it DID NOT go on a German register ? that was the easiest part however.

So even it had a current Cofa when being imported the plane gets a new (Dutch) permit to fly for which we waited for ca. 9-11 months and the plane was sitting on the ground just for that reason (and to our frustration). So I just did not consider it ?an airplane? for that wasted time when we were waiting ?

Hope that explains the ?again?.

Best, Heinz

Glad to see you got it in the air and are happy with it. I had a blast with it when it was mine.

Mark

another ?again?

@Pierre,

thanks - the excitement has already started however I thought I share this one re ´again´:

el7lfk.jpg

There are several cartoon books of two Dutch guys published (www.leeuwispubli.nl) - very good stuff.

@Mark,

yep - it is the best airplane fun I ever had so far indeed (after starting with gliders at the age of 13 some 35 years ago via Piper Arrows, Mooneys, F/O on a Cessna 421, a Cessna 140 taildragger and such and a very well liked Grumman AA1) and again thanks for letting me have your plane, will take good care.

Heinz

Last edited:
Dutch PH-registration

Please forgive me as a two-wings Pilot to visit your VAF-Forum, but I hope for some answers here.
A friend of mine (RV-builder) gave me this link.

We are 4 Pilots operating an N-registered experimental Pitts S-1 and we are considering to put it on a dutch registration.
We need some information about the pros and cons. Reading this post where it took 11 months just for the paperwork makes me pessimistic.

Did anybody else in this forum have experiences with a dutch PH-registration?

Thanks in advance.

RV?s are great airplanes!!

NVAV

Welcome to forums!

I built an RV-9A and registered it in the Netherlands as PH-VAN, the paperwork took no more than a couple of weeks (during the holiday season).
I do not know about registering an existing plane with a foreign registration, but I guess your best bet would be to contact the NVAV: http://www.nvav.nl/ This is the official Dutch "Experimental organisation". They will be able to help (memberschip is only EUR 90,-/year and you can also get cheap insurance through them). Good luck.

Regards, Tonny.

Last edited:
Dutch Register

Hi Pittsle,

I have spoken to your friend already yesterday and I have pointed him into the right direction and he has my mobile number - so all is all right. The IVW (Dutch FAA) went through a re-org and they had to let go about half of the people go and I believe they are back on track now.

I actually believe the 11 month it took is an exception (the guy working on my plane fell ill and left the Dutch CAA later) as with my 1st plane it took 2 weeks (wow!!) and other friends are flying now too on the Dutch register after some time waiting.

Best, Heinz

Last edited:
Crash of PH-EIL

Dear all,
I'm very sad to announce that PH-EIL crashed yesterday evening around 10pm in France, close to Co?x.
One person died, the other is severely wounded and has been moved to the La Roche-sur-Yon hospital.
https://twitter.com/SDIS85/status/738269532767301632
https://twitter.com/SDIS85/status/738244997439426560

http://www.sdis85.com/a-la-une/ --> this URL is not a permanent link yet but contains details of the rescue, translation below:

"Forty firefighters worked in the late evening of Wednesday, June 1, 2016 in an aircraft crash aftermath. Much of the night, they proceed to the rescue of the aircraft and to the care of a victim.

It is a little less than 10pm Wednesday 1 June 2016 when the processing alert center of Vend?e fire brigade was informed of a missing aircraft.
The Lyon rescue coordination center has received a warning beacon signal with GPS coordinates.

Immediately, significant resources were pre-positioned, including several ambulances, firefighting vehicules, and the chain of command begins to organize both field and departmental operational center (CODIS). A total of forty firefighters, from relief centers Apremont Coex, La Roche-sur-Yon, Saint-Gilles-Croix-de-Vie and Saint-Jean-de-Monts.

A helicopter of the Gendarmerie crosses the town of Co?x, supporting his research by a powerful projector. Radioamateurs of ADRASEC are involved to refine the research sector.

It is in a field, against a tree, that the two seater is discovered. It rests on the back. On board two, one of them died.
The second occupant was seriously injured but conscious, and imprisoned in the cabin of the aircraft.

A chain is organized with an all terrain vehicle to deliver as quickly and as close to the plane medical emergency equipment and firefighters Samu, generators and shears for emergency road crew, lighting equipment for urban search and rescue team.

After an initial medical check, the victim was perfused. Rescue operations can begin. They are complex for several reasons: the nature of the vehicle, its position on the back, the position of the victim strapped and incarcerated, and the relative visibility of such an operation at night.

Two hours after being found by the rescue team, the victim is removed from the carcass of the plane, allowing physicians to make a more complete assessment of his health. He is then transported to the hospital in La Roche sur Yon Dragon helicopter Civil Security.

Firefighters then proceed to the rescue of the deceased before returning to their respective rescue centers. It's 04:30 am."

Guillaume

RV-4 Crash in France

Sad to hear about this. Condolences to the family of the deceased and a speedy recovery to the person that survived. I would also be interested to the cause of the crash.

Back