VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

  #1  
Old 06-10-2018, 08:41 PM
Dugaru's Avatar
Dugaru Dugaru is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Richmond VA, USA
Posts: 211
Default Help with a Garmin autopilot issue

Okay, so the other day after takeoff I engaged my Garmin autopilot (my setup is a G5, GSA28 pitch and roll servos, and a GMC 307). I used the CWS/disconnect button on the stick, and the autopilot engaged at the existing pitch and roll. I love that feature.

I then configured it to follow the flight plan in my Garmin 430W (using the NAV button on the 307) and to go to my first assigned altitude, using the VS mode. All seemed to be going fine.

Instead of turning left at the first waypoint as planned, however, the autopilot ran the aileron trim all the way to the right, and then disconnected (yellow flashing AP). I got the aircraft back on course, centered the trim, and tried to engage the autopilot again. The same thing happened (trim right, then disconnect), followed by an AP with a red slash through it. I then got a red AFCS indication at the top of the G5. At that point, I was unable to turn the autopilot on, and neither the heading nor altitude dials on the 307 had any effect. So I hand flew from that point on.

After landing, on the "device info" page, the servos and 307 were grayed out. There was one "transmit error" logged.

Still on the ground, I recycled the breaker and at that point, the autopilot and 307 came back to life. The autopilot now turns off and on. I now have green checkboxes for the servos and 307. I ran the preflight test set forth in the manual and again everything seemed to be working correctly.

Since then, I've powered up and down several times, and the system seems to come up fine after the "PFT" indication.

I haven't flight tested it yet. Before doing so, does anyone have any ideas regarding what may have caused this failure? I'm running the latest 5.20 software, for what that's worth.

Thanks
Doug
__________________
N929JA, 2007 RV-9A
Based W96 - near Richmond, VA
2018 Dues Paid
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-11-2018, 05:52 AM
jthocker's Avatar
jthocker jthocker is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,059
Default

Lots of people misinterpret how to test the autotrim. On the screen they press “test” and then the trim “left” and “right” options on the SCREEN become available. They then proceed to use the stick buttons to “test” instead of the screen buttons. Good chance the autotrim is reversed.

Oh yes, version 5.9 is the latest!
__________________
Jon Thocker
Habitual Offender
RV4, RV4, RV6A, RV8, RV8, RV8,RV8, RV8, RV8, RV12

Redline Air Shows
http://www.redlineairshows.com


Upgrade your RV from "Steam" to "Glass"
http://www.redlinethegoal.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-11-2018, 06:03 AM
Walt's Avatar
Walt Walt is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dallas/Ft Worth, TX
Posts: 4,764
Default

I always suggest folks first test the AP with autotrim turned off to be sure the basic operation of the AP is working good before activating autotrim.
And I agree with Jon, sounds like the ail autotrim make be backwards.
__________________
Walt Aronow, Dallas, TX (52F) RV7A, IO360, C/S, 1500+hrs

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-11-2018, 06:47 AM
g3xpert's Avatar
g3xpert g3xpert is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,005
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugaru View Post
Okay, so the other day after takeoff I engaged my Garmin autopilot (my setup is a G5, GSA28 pitch and roll servos, and a GMC 307). I used the CWS/disconnect button on the stick, and the autopilot engaged at the existing pitch and roll. I love that feature.

I then configured it to follow the flight plan in my Garmin 430W (using the NAV button on the 307) and to go to my first assigned altitude, using the VS mode. All seemed to be going fine.

Instead of turning left at the first waypoint as planned, however, the autopilot ran the aileron trim all the way to the right, and then disconnected (yellow flashing AP). I got the aircraft back on course, centered the trim, and tried to engage the autopilot again. The same thing happened (trim right, then disconnect), followed by an AP with a red slash through it. I then got a red AFCS indication at the top of the G5. At that point, I was unable to turn the autopilot on, and neither the heading nor altitude dials on the 307 had any effect. So I hand flew from that point on.

After landing, on the "device info" page, the servos and 307 were grayed out. There was one "transmit error" logged.

Still on the ground, I recycled the breaker and at that point, the autopilot and 307 came back to life. The autopilot now turns off and on. I now have green checkboxes for the servos and 307. I ran the preflight test set forth in the manual and again everything seemed to be working correctly.

Since then, I've powered up and down several times, and the system seems to come up fine after the "PFT" indication.

I haven't flight tested it yet. Before doing so, does anyone have any ideas regarding what may have caused this failure? I'm running the latest 5.20 software, for what that's worth.

Thanks
Doug
Hello Doug,

As others have commented, it is possible that the auto-trim is reversed (see this thread for more information), but the autopilot doesn't disconnect for out-of-trim conditions.

You are, of course, welcome to continue to solicit help here, but we recommend you contact us directly so we can assist you in collecting a flight data log which will contain the reason for the in-flight disconnect.

Thanks,
Steve
__________________
Garmin G3X Support
g3xpert@garmin.com
1-866-854-8433 - 7 to 7 Central Time M to F
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-11-2018, 06:50 AM
Mark H Mark H is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Posts: 46
Default

Jon, it doesnít sound like Doug has a G3X Touch, just a G5 with autopilot. Version 5.20 is the latest software for the G5. The 5.90 is for the G3X Touch.
__________________
Mark Hansen
Indianapolis, IN
RV-7A N896PS
Flying
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-11-2018, 08:13 AM
jthocker's Avatar
jthocker jthocker is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,059
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
Jon, it doesnít sound like Doug has a G3X Touch, just a G5 with autopilot. Version 5.20 is the latest software for the G5. The 5.90 is for the G3X Touch.
Oops! Missed that. Thanks, and Iíll be sure to RTFQ in the future!😳
__________________
Jon Thocker
Habitual Offender
RV4, RV4, RV6A, RV8, RV8, RV8,RV8, RV8, RV8, RV12

Redline Air Shows
http://www.redlineairshows.com


Upgrade your RV from "Steam" to "Glass"
http://www.redlinethegoal.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-11-2018, 08:16 AM
Dugaru's Avatar
Dugaru Dugaru is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Richmond VA, USA
Posts: 211
Default

Sounds good, I'll data log my next flight and contact you directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
Hello Doug,

As others have commented, it is possible that the auto-trim is reversed (see this thread for more information), but the autopilot doesn't disconnect for out-of-trim conditions.

You are, of course, welcome to continue to solicit help here, but we recommend you contact us directly so we can assist you in collecting a flight data log which will contain the reason for the in-flight disconnect.

Thanks,
Steve
__________________
N929JA, 2007 RV-9A
Based W96 - near Richmond, VA
2018 Dues Paid
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-14-2018, 09:39 AM
Dugaru's Avatar
Dugaru Dugaru is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Richmond VA, USA
Posts: 211
Default Update

So of course the autopilot now appears to be working perfectly (as it was for months previously).

If I just leave a microSD card in the slot, will it continue to log data (and overwrite old data) so that I can catch it in the act if it does it again?

Somewhat related question: is it possible for my setup to generate an audible warning when the autopilot disconnects? The flashing yellow AP can be easy to miss, since the G5 is not my primary attitude indicator display.

Thanks
DMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugaru View Post
Sounds good, I'll data log my next flight and contact you directly.
__________________
N929JA, 2007 RV-9A
Based W96 - near Richmond, VA
2018 Dues Paid
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-14-2018, 09:55 AM
vic syracuse vic syracuse is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Locust Grove, GA
Posts: 2,311
Default Why?

Why would the autotrim decide to be reversed when it has been working correctly for so long?

Vic
__________________
Vic Syracuse

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Van's East Coast Representative
www.Baselegaviation.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-14-2018, 10:50 AM
Dugaru's Avatar
Dugaru Dugaru is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Richmond VA, USA
Posts: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic syracuse View Post
Why would the autotrim decide to be reversed when it has been working correctly for so long?

Vic
Also my conclusion. I don't think there's anything wrong with the autotrim setup.

And per Garmin above, the autopilot doesn't give up and disconnect due to out-of-trim conditions in any event. But I can confirm that in both of my recent losses of the autopilot function, it first trimmed the ailerons all the way to the right.
__________________
N929JA, 2007 RV-9A
Based W96 - near Richmond, VA
2018 Dues Paid
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:23 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.