What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forward fuselage skin / firewall overlap order

Draker

Well Known Member
Getting ready to fit and drill the firewall to the forward side and bottom skins. Before doing it though, I realized I had just assumed which order the parts need to sandwiched together. I could not find where in the plans or drawings it's actually called out. I originally had them stacked: Bottom skin over side skin over firewall flange. But looking at some pictures in others' build logs shows builders fitting the side skin over the bottom skin. But this leaves a gap where the side skins meet with the firewall, so that's probably not right. Which is it?

Most importantly: Where in the manual should I go to confirm the stack order? I shouldn't have to "ask VAF" for something as fundamental as this.

Ryan
Look at drawing 28 far left it shows the side skin over the bottom skin. Notice the broken line. That is the hidden line behind the side skin. Also follow the solid line on bottom of side skin and it matches your skin profile.
Hope this helps
Arnie

Note. sent a picture to your email

Last edited:
Interesting, thanks. Surprised I got this far in the build without learning the significance of the dashed vs. solid lines on the plans :eek:

Dont worry

Dont worry i had the same problem. But wait till you have to figure out the stack up with the F904 bulkhead! Hint: there is only one way it works.

I expect this gets riveted later with sealant but it still seems... not right. That bottom skin is so thick.

IMG_1172-L.jpg

I assume we are looking at the bottom passenger corner, which looks OK if the side skin is overlapping the floor skin. You should remove the plastic sheeting between mating surfaces before match hole drilling as it does affect fit.

Once riveted, that gap will all but disappear. But if it really bothers you, you could joggle the firewall flange slightly in that spot, using a couple of aluminum sheet scraps and seaming pliers. The stainless is really tough to drill, but forms pretty easily.

Van?s seems to have designed the fuselage so that rain will run off without tending to run down between skins. (My Cessna 170 was NOT designed that way...)

Back