What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PlaneAround wheel fairing bracket spacers

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
I just got through installing the machined spacers that Sean at PlaneAround makes for the RV 10.

IMG_0135.jpg

These units replace the small tubular spacers that Vans has you use, and it is quite apparent that they will provide a lot more stability to the wheel pant bracket.

Sean also recommended that I toss the elastic stop nuts in favor of metal ones due to the heat generated by the brakes. I ended up using titanium bolts and hi heat stainless steel nuts.

When I had my recent wheel pant failure on landing, the bracket was twisted up like it was trying to attain pretzel status. Pretty sure the individual standoff units contributed greatly to the damage shown here. Note how the mounting hole tabs are bent. Also, the bolts were allowed to bend due to the lack of support that the factory spacer provides-----or should I say doesnt provide??

New unit in back shows how things should look............

P7070005.JPG

P7070002.JPG

I suspect that the factory standoff system may have been a contributing factor to the ultimate failure of the wheel pant to stay in place, but this is only speculation, but if you look at the difference in support provided by the PlaneAround spacers it is very hard to not reach the conclusion that they will be superior in the event things get into a vibration mode that may lead to failure. I do know that it is possible to wiggle the bracket a bit with the factory standoffs, but it is rock solid with Sean's spacers installed.

If I were to be building another 10, there is absolutely no way I would omit these parts.

Might have prevented this from happening.................................

P6300003.JPG

Last edited:
Back