What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ACK E-04

rleffler

Well Known Member
I purchased an ACK E-04 not long after it started shipping. Unfortunately, medical and build delays caused me not to install it right away. Mine was in the aircraft a year, but was three years old when I developed an issue.

I won't bore everyone with the details, but it turned out to be a problem with the lithium battery. This was an experience in it's own right due to learning how to ship hazmat materials and the cost. I ended up shipping UPS ground, which was less expensive, but with a time penalty to ship from one coast to another.

ACK was very helpful is diagnosing my issue, even though I was technically out of warranty. They even upgraded by board and provided a filter to attach to the antenna. Apparently, they are experiencing some issues with damage caused by static charges on units with a serial number less than 4500. Mine was 1026. They made a mod to the circuit board and supplied a filter to install inline with the coax at the antenna.

I assumed that the only test that was required was at the annual conditional. ACK brought to my attention that they recommend a quarterly test. I just happened to test mine for other reasons, when I discovered my unit was non-functional. If I hadn't tested, I would have probably flown until conditional not knowing I had a non-functional ELT.

So the morale of the story is to test your ELT quartely per ACK's recommendations. Also ACK provides great technical support. Call them if you have questions.

bob

MY ack-04 also has a serial number less than 4500. Called them. The tech recommended the filter which goes inline at the antenna is better than the PCB mod. Sent it out at no charge. :) A great company to work with.

Bevan

Back