What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EAA Sheet Metal Basics - Worthwile??

NitroWraith

I'm New Here
Hi everyone... I'm new to VAF and making preps to start my build in the Spring of 2019. I'm soliciting input whether the EAA Sheet Metal Basics class is worthwhile?? Or, is just watching youtube vids and this forum ample enough to just get started and have at it? (I'm pretty handy with tools and construction but have never riveted metal.) Any thoughts?

Also...Anybody looking for a FREE helping hand with their build around the Houston Area hit me up! I'm always looking to learn from others.

I did the sheetmetal course before starting my build and felt that it was invaluable. I considered myself a pretty handy person, but this whole business of solid rivets was totally foreign to me. Being able to get exposed to those skills under a skilled instructor was great, and I came away from the class feeling a lot more confident about building.

Since you're in the Houston area, you might consider joining us for our monthly lunch this Saturday at Weiser. We'd be happy to meet you!

Last edited:
Absolutely!

It's a great class. There's nothing like getting to try all of the tools and processes while someone is looking over your shoulder and can tell you what you're doing right and wrong. You will have insight as to the types of each tool you prefer also and what you can live without. Definitely worth the time and money.

Ditto what?s been said about the class. Couldn?t have helped me more. It really gave me the confidence to order my empennage kit within a week of the class.

I only wish they?d stay in town for a full week so I could have taken two courses!!!

If I had it to do over again, I'd do the week long classes offered by the builder assistance guys, where you pay to have them supervise you while you build most of the empennage kit.

It took me quite awhile to get the hang of it. So much so, I just plunged ahead and built the vertical stab first. Then ordered all new parts and built it again.

http://axsysair.com/classes/

Last edited:
Yes! Well worth it.

I brought my Van's tool box practice kit with me, and had enough time to build it after finishing the normal class projects.

The class really gave me the confidence that "Yes, I can do this".

Bought my empennage kit soon after.

I built without any courses, because they werent available in my area when I needed them most. Of course you can do anything by reading, watching or just figuring it out yourself, but its true you dont know what you dont know. If the class is an easy option, do it for sure.

RE: EAA Sheet Metal Basics

I am heading up to OSH for the class Jan 26 & 27th. Cheap knowledge for $319 to start, 2 days over the weekend. Hotel Friday & Sat nights plus a visit to UW OSH to share my excitement with some college boys!

Just clearing out garage and basement space for start of 2019 RV12iS build. I'll decide what I'll require in tools from Cleveland after the class. I may pre-buy the Vans toolbox to bring with me, great advice @Dantilla

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/event/01-26-2019_Sheet_Metal_Oshkosh?id=9DD3F8B72E8F4CF5A3D408DA067647C6

I may forgo the Synergy Air empennage kit in GA with confidence from the class, videos (home builders.net) and of course VAF!

Mentor

Classes are awesome. I didn't take one. You should have seen my tool box.
Personally, I favor a Mentor. One on one with a mentor will solidify the techniques you learn in class. Plus the mentor will be there as a resource should you have an issue.
I can't thank mine enough for all he taught me both about building and so many other things. Some day, I hope to pay it forward.

I attended the EAA Sheet Metal class and found it well worth the time and money.

Then a few months later I started my RV-10 build with the Synergy Air Empennage class, which I highly recommend for new builders. In this class I actually build most of my empennage over the 8 days (the RV-10 class is longer, as it is a much larger aircraft and so takes longer to complete the empennage) with 1 on 1 support and guidance of the Synergy Air experts. This not only gave me a great start to the build but helped me develop an understanding of best practices and quality workmanship. I also didn't have to re-order parts and re-do any of the empennage, but I did get practice at drilling out rivets when needed. I also got to try out a variety of tools and approaches, which helped once I got home and ordered my tools.

Hope you enjoy your new project!

I absolutely endorse doing the class! It helped with my confidence and I've been turning wrenches on my cars for years and lots of wood projects around the house.

The class has you using all sorts of tools driving all different types of rivets, fabricating parts, and exposes you to many sides of aluminum construction on RVs.

Invaluable!! Do it!!

Nitro,

I've volunteered at the OSH 1/2 day workshops and one weekend workshop and done sheetmetal forums at Sun'nFun.

While you will learn some processes and will get familiar with riveting, etc., there isn't enough time to teach you how to "build".

Case in point, the cumulative step in the weekend workshop (at the time - it's been years_ was a wing section + aileron. Had some real talented students, (They knew which way to pick up a drill, etc) That said, it took the quickest about 2:45 to finish. After the class, a group of 6-8 were discussing the class and I asked my fellow tech counselor how long it would take him to do the project - Then I held up my hand to stop him, while I whispered "30 min" into the ear of the nearest student. He just about fell off his stool when he heard me, then stepped off the stool when my buddy said "about 30 minutes". All the rest grunted and muttered.

I went over to the supply table, picked up a parts kit and proceeded to show how it's done. That's when we really had their attention.

If you can get up to DFW area, look up a guy named Don Doubleday. He'd be a great resource.

Onward and upward

mjb

Others have the class experience, so I defer to them.

I bought a kit in process and learned as I went. Just keep in mind that it takes a certain level of experience to finish the airplane and your skills will need to improve all the way through The build progress always seemed to be requiring the learning of new skills. A mentor is a fantastic resource if you can find one. If not I think that you can order a box of "scrap" from Vans, get two and use the materials to test your skills each time before doing something new. example: Rivet 50 rivets and drill them all out. Like the first time doing drywall finishing, the first 10% uses 90% of your time. Learning to think about the next steps and avoid mistakes is something you will acquire. I don't know if classes teach this.

It never hurts to return to an experienced person throughout the build and talk about building issues and questions. Its like graduate school, then post doc. Keep learning. Keep trying. keep experimenting. Then leave it behind and fly!!

I did not take a class, just learned and modified techniques over time. I spend a lot of time here researching things first. I would have liked to take the class if it was available nearby. To me it seemed pretty straightforward on what you are trying to achieve. Does the rivet shop head meet the milspec? Are the edges of parts clear of any areas that would leave stress concentrations? Etc. The benefit I would image to taking a class is you would learn quickly what tools you need/want. Some people don't like pneumatic squeezers; on the other hand, I can't imagine building without one. These questions would be answered sooner and probably save you money.

Back