What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Minimal Compliance with 91.205 for IFR

Can you ask for and legally fly routes, either direct or not, based on GPS information with nothing more than a handheld, or non-certified GPS receiver for the enroute phase of flight? Of course you can, as long as you're in a radar environment with ATC radar coverage. .

Absolutely not true. But you can look at your $200 GPS, get the bearing to xyz, say 271, and then call ATC and ask for a radar vector direct xyz on, like 271 deg. (wink, wink). ATC knows what's going on but if they approve the vector you're good to go. But technically it's a vector, not GPS navigation.

Maybe I misspoke. I didn't mean you could ask for GPS routing instead of your approved VOR routing, but you can ask for direct to a fix or airport in a radar environment - without /G equipment - and it's OK with them, traffic permitting. I've done it and told them I had a Garmin 496. I've even been asked if I had the ability to go direct. When I said yes, they said 'cleared direct'.

FAR 91.205 says that for IFR an aircraft must have all the VFR day instruments (airspeed, altimeter, compass, engine instruments) plus a comm radio, a navigation equipment, attitude indicator, and Turn Coordinator, clock and electrical system.

In order to minimally comply with intent of 91.205, it appears that one could install a single EFIS display like a GRT HXr, plus remote radios and xpnder (which allows the tuning of remote radios) plus a separate turn and bank indicator and the EIS package.

It provides all necessary engine instruments, control of nav and comm radios, and all the flight instrumentation.

If one has to push a button to see the Engine instruments, is he still in compliance?

Am I missing something?

I do not like the title MINIMAL Compliance with 91.205 for IFR.

As far as the FAA is concerned, you are in Compliance with 91.205 for IFR in your Experimental or you are OUT of Compliance and not LEGAL for IFR.

Operating Limitations require compliance with 91.205 for IFR in a Homebuilt Experimental. You comply to legally fly IFR or you are illegal flying IFR.

Now if the title said least expensive compliance with 91.205 for IFR this would be a much better title for this thread.

My opinion

In my opinion, there can never be a gps box legal for IFR approaches that is not TSO'd. It is not just about accuracy or reliabilty; there is more to it. I have accepted that I will need to spend for one if I wish to do GPS approaches.

Absolutely not true. But you can look at your $200 GPS, get the bearing to xyz, say 271, and then call ATC and ask for a radar vector direct xyz on, like 271 deg. (wink, wink). ATC knows what's going on but if they approve the vector you're good to go. But technically it's a vector, not GPS navigation.

I dunno about that... last year in my minimally equipped RV (1 VOR, G496) I flew IFR from a private grass strip N of Houston to New Orleans Lakefront; since I don't have IFR GPS capability I filed /U equipment and VOR airways. But, when I picked up my clearance on the ground via cellphone, I received "cleared direct KNEW". No questions about headings or vectors, just "cleared direct". I thought it rather odd, but went ahead and flew it anyway. I wonder if it's a case of ATC figures most IFR traffic these days has an IFR GPS? Maybe it's ATC being, ahem, "lazy", and just getting me on my way and out of their hair...

How many of those 3 will sell you an IFR TSO'd GPS for under 10K? I think the answer is only one. The others are careful not to compete on price at the low end; instead, they cater to the high end, for those who will buy on features regardless of price. So yes, at the high end, there is competition. But in the context of this discussion I don't think $14K boxes are what people had in mind.

I think the largest market (at least, the largest part of the market for a specialized piece of equipment) is not homebuilts with advanced EFIS and other features, but certified aircraft with largely analog instrumentation. An all-in-one box giving you a moving map, approach capability, COM, NAV, and ADS-B display is really valuable to that market, and a great bang for the buck.

A bare-minimum only what you need to fly a GPS approach box isn't going to sell as well. We want one for our airplanes because we generally have the rest of that stuff already.

Back