What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FLYING article

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
How amazing for Flying to feature an RV on the cover, usually the place where the newest Learjet is shown. Two things stood out from the article, however. The writer made a big point about the improved landing gear being leaf springs instead of rods, a point also made in Van's promo video. Knowing how Van's might prompt the writer from Flying to make a point Van's wanted making, might it be that flat leaf spring gear legs will show up on the tail-dragger too? Have we seen the end of the rod legs draping backwards from the engine mount?
I also thought it was interesting that Flying spoke of, "...electronic ignition in the IO-390 (which) features on/off switches instead of magnetos." I would have thought that Van's installed engine in their demo would be the standard Lycoming they'll be offering via the catalog, so is it truly electronic ignition on both sides instead of magnetos, or is this just a switch labeling thing?
Clay Cook
interested...

Have we seen the end of the rod legs draping backwards from the engine mount?

No. The tail dragger model will have rod style gear legs.

I also thought it was interesting that Flying spoke of, "...electronic ignition in the IO-390 (which) features on/off switches instead of magnetos." I would have thought that Van's installed engine in their demo would be the standard Lycoming they'll be offering via the catalog, so is it truly electronic ignition on both sides instead of magnetos, or is this just a switch labeling thing?
Clay Cook
interested...

Some times writers publish info. they perceive but don't confirm.
The RV-14 has conventional magnetos (an impulse mag. on the left side only, hense the placard stating to start engine using only the L Ign.). The non-traditional switches must have made him assume it was electronic ign.

Back