Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Virtual Hangar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2017, 11:30 PM

One of the first things I did when I finally committed to building my RV-8 in 2015 was to also commit to a weight loss program, because I had gained a LOT of weight in the previous decade. I had used Jenny Craig in the '80s with some success, so I chose to take that route. It's been two years now, and I've gradually gone from 290 to under 220. My target weight range is between 200 and 220, and I will NEVER AGAIN be over 230 for the rest of my life. I know I can do it... because I've done it, and I did it right. I intend to keep the lessons learned as part of the way I will live from now on.
RV-8 #83507 - empennage complete (except fiberglass)
QB wings & fuselage work continues
N657AR reserved
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
Dues paid for 2017... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?
Old 03-13-2017, 08:55 AM

Default Sugar...

...A.K.A. "The White Death!"
RV-10 (41PX Reserved) Fuselage
F-14 (Pedal Plane - Daughter's Project) "Flying"
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikrettig
Old 03-13-2017, 10:13 AM

I am so impressed with this thread,,, I am 53 with a family history of heart disease and diabetes and that scares me yet I am 30lbs overweight and starting on my 9A build this month,, Brain you have inspired me to START TODAY to lose the sugar and start moving..

I am in knoxville quite often for business ( seeing boat builders ) I hope to meet you someday and see the 7 as well..

just wow..
N517NC ( reserved)
Dues Paid
NOV 2016
July 2017
Old 03-13-2017, 03:23 PM

Default Useful app and another tip

Brian,

Your non-sugar diet is going to pay off big time. It will also get easier to adhere to it once you get it out of your system and your digestive system returns to a healthy state (probiotics help). It made a huge difference for me.

A couple of things for you, if you have an iPhone, try the "Lose It" app. I have NEVER counted calories before, but this made it super easy to set weight and calorie targets.

Another suggestion, if you haven't already, try eliminating all dairy. For me this was super challenging. I LOVED dairy in all shapes and forms. That said, once I gave it up, I immediately lost 15 pounds, without any exercise. After that 15 went away, I added the very low sugar and no alcohol modifications in and lost another 15. I added in some very basic body weight exercise and the scale keeps going down and the muscle tone I lost 20 years ago is coming back!

I have added approximately 35 pounds of useful load to the plane and ideally have another 10 to go.

Good luck!

Antony
Old 03-14-2017, 04:04 AM

Brian,

First of all, congratulations on your progress and another excellent thread! My wife and I made similar decisions some time ago and we have never looked back. I want to live to fly this RV for a very long time and this is the path to travel.

One point I wanted to elaborate on a bit is that I see a lot of builders going to extraordinary lengths to "keep it light" when it comes to building their plane. Shave an ounce here, an ounce there, and end up with a lighter, more nimble RV, right? But you can only go so far with this plan. Although they do add up, most weight-saving techniques result in fractions of a pound.

Then one day it occurred to me, I'm going to all this effort to make my airplane as light as possible. But the pilot becomes a part of the airplane when it flies. I think when the airplane is weighed at the end of the project, the pilot should be seated in it. That's the true weight you're dealing with, when you weigh your airplane to see how well you built it. After all, it doesn't fly itself! It's not really accurate to take the pilot out of the picture. So if you think about it that way, the quickest (and healthiest) way to take some weight off of the airplane is to take it off of the pilot who flies it. It's easy to overlook that. And here we're talking about pounds, not ounces! In some cases, many pounds. In my case, my finished airplane with me in it will be at least 25 pounds lighter than a few years ago. Keeping that in mind really helps me when I'm temped to stray. If I eat or drink that junk, my airplane will be heavier and more sluggish as a result.

Just a few thoughts to ponder. It's a different way of looking at it, and it helps me.
Dues Proudly Paid for 2016
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com

Last edited by BSwayze : 03-14-2017 at 04:18 AM. Reason: clarify and elaborate