What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 'gets it' - with the latest avionics

humptybump

Well Known Member
If you've worked with the prior generation of Garmin avionics then you have likely said a few words in frustration (fitting a 20 AWG wire into a high density pin, forgetting to thread all the wires through the old back shell covers, etc.)

I'm installing the GTR-20 remote COMM radio and the little changes Garmin has mad have been fantastic. The "normal" sized pins are easier to work with, open top cover on the connectors are great; the built-in grounding terminals are very handy; etc.

Today I found another handy change Garmin incorporated which tells me they were really thinking about the amateur builder when they designed the remote COMM radio.

The radio has mounting tabs at each end of the radio, designed so it can be mounted horizontal or vertical pretty easily. In my case, the problem was that I needed to mount it across between the RV-8's forward baggage bulkhead and the Z-brace. Ideally, I wanted those tabs to be on the sides of the radio rather than the ends. I concluded I'd just have to fabricate new mounting tabs. Thankfully, Garmin attached the mounting tabs with screws. When I unscrewed the tabs I was delighted to see that Garmin had designed the tabs' screw locations and the radio's screw holes (two extra ones hidden under the tabs in their original locations) to rotate 90 degrees and re-attach!

THANKS GARMIN !

good report!

i'm sure the x-team makes most of that difference!

i hope install manuals these days are easier to come by (free and PDF?) and more complete?

Thanks for the report

Glen,
I am also about to install this same radio in my 8A project. Any installation photos would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Hi Steve, it will be a couple of days before I can get back to photos. In the mean time, I created a "tray" that spans between the Z-brace and the baggage compartment bulkhead.

I did a similar setup for the GTX23.

Can't wait for the photos!

I just ordered a GTX 23 and cable from approach fast stack. I am planning on installing both of them in the same location. Your experience will help me greatly. Thanks!

Hi Steve, it sounds like we may have very similar systems !

I will warn you that the GTX23 is not quite as "installer friendly". The backshell is modular, like the latest designs, but it still attaches to the chassis the old way - screws on from the inside of the chassis. This makes it more of a pain since you can't easily install the chassis and then later "just screw on the finished cable" with the knurled knobs onto the back.

I'll have my embarrassing photos posted soon.

Back