What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax Regulator Mounting Change

Mitch757

Well Known Member
I just received my plans for the firewall forward kit and noticed that the voltage regulator is now to be mounted beneath the panel base, right side. There is a template on page 46-3 that cautions to check the scale before drilling and the one provided with my package is off by 1/4 inch in hole spacing.

Additionally, if you installed the engine brackets (WD-1204) with the shop heads on the bottom (down), there will be interference with the new regulator position.

Mitch Garner

I just received my plans for the firewall forward kit and noticed that the voltage regulator is now to be mounted beneath the panel base, right side. There is a template on page 46-3 that cautions to check the scale before drilling and the one provided with my package is off by 1/4 inch in hole spacing.

Additionally, if you installed the engine brackets (WD-1204) with the shop heads on the bottom (down), there will be interference with the new regulator position.

Mitch Garner

Updates have been made to the plans that will specify that the rivets that are orientation sensitive should be installed with the manufactured heads on the bottom side. The changes will be available in the next release of the pertinent sections of the KAI.

(BTW, this orientation would be following the the stand convention of forming the shop head on the thicker/heavier material, but because it was not specified, a correction is in the works)

Builders that encounter this issue during installation of their voltage regulator in the revised (aft of the firewall) location, should remove the 6 rivets that will cause an interference, and install replacements with the manufactured heads on the bottom side of the Panel Base.

Scott, is there any reason why single screen users might want to consider moving the regulator to the new location? Improved reliability for example.

Scott, is there any reason why single screen users might want to consider moving the regulator to the new location? Improved reliability for example.

Our experience has been that if no modifications were made that would add extra load to the charging system beyond what is standard in normal operations, then there is no reason to make the change.

That revised page is not on the Rv12 downloads. I'd sure like to see it. Are extensions of the wires needed? An adapter harness or something?

That revised page is not on the Rv12 downloads. I'd sure like to see it. Are extensions of the wires needed? An adapter harness or something?

The new location works with the supplied harness.
The revision was just issued and is working through the posting process... it should be out soon.

I have lights and the regulator blast tube. If relocated, is the blast tube abandoned?

I also saw a mod where the blast tube is stuck slightly inside the plenum, pointed forward, and secured with a cable tie in that position to increase airflow to the regulator - theory being "more is better." Thoughts on that?

I have lights and the regulator blast tube. If relocated, is the blast tube abandoned?

I also saw a mod where the blast tube is stuck slightly inside the plenum, pointed forward, and secured with a cable tie in that position to increase airflow to the regulator - theory being "more is better." Thoughts on that?

Blast tube is abandon.

My thought is that as you said, it is a theory (until verified)

Regulator

Our local rotax guy had commented several times on the location of the regulator/rectifier. He prefers that they be in the cabin under the panel because they are very heat sensitive. We have added the blast tube when ours failed. We have no other electrical load than the initial design (12002). Is this something we should consider doing? Almost anything would require modifying the wiring harness, if I understand it.

Back