What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glare Shield

dick seiders

Well Known Member
What a treat! In my opinion this option is a must have.
The thing fits like a glove with minimal sanding (no cutting necessary) unless you want to paint it which I did as the gray finish shows up in the windscreen. Flat black solves the problem nicely, and do it on both top and bottom. Thanks Van's, for a well designed option. Can't wait to try it out upstairs, but somebody stuck a fuel pump issue in there so wait till Monday.
Dick Seiders 120093

How about a photo? I got mine but my canopy is out at the hangar, so I cannot quite visualize how it looks installed.

Posted these for Dick....

66tr.jpg

0gcn.jpg

ye69.jpg

All,
Billy Waters was kind enough to send pics of my 12 glareshield installation. I bought the panel glareshield from Van's of course. The glareshield for the Garmin 496 comes from Chief Aircraft in OR and costs $35 plus shipping. I have only flown one time with the new RV12 glareshield and the sun was hiding in the overcast. I believe tho that you will want to wait on ordering the Garmin glareshield as I suspect you will not need it with the 12 glareshield installed.
Dick Seiders 120093

Eyebrow/Glare Sheild

We installed the Showplanes Glare Shield yesterday and flew in a vey Sunny day.
It worked very well and is a quality made piece.
Highly recommend.

Just wondering how many others have installed one of these. I'm thinking of getting one but would like to hear a few more opinions on how effective/essential they are before I commit to having one shipped half way around the world.

I installed one, and unlike all the others, am quite disappointed. But, I plan to eventually solve my problem.

I got the shield not because I had any problems seeing the panel - even in direct bright sunshine. I got it because I could see the panel in the canopy. Now, I see the top surface of the glareshield - especially the stiffening ridge that runs along its length. It's very prominent and visible. I can still see the lower part of the panel in the canopy too - the throttle/choke knobs etc.

I prep'd my panel by sanding, priming and painting. I selected a flat black Rustoleum rattle can product touted for this use and its can states "Non-reflective." I applied several coats and thought it looked a little on the "glossy" side. It's not "non-reflective."

Since then I have become much more knowledgeable on this subject and expect to eventually find something which will remove the reflection. I found out that Coating reflectivity is a BIG subject with dozens of measurements. There are special paints that are used for the inside of telescope barrels that are regarded as truly anti-reflective. There are also flat paints that can be mixed with flour, poppy seeds, and other very small granular solids - these grains break-up the reflection angles by scattering the light rays to destroy the relection. There are also various coatings and coverings, like black felt that can be used that have a similar effect as do the granular paint additives.

The one thing I learned from these various forums and websites is that "flat black" paint ain't flat - not even close. I'm actively working this, have ordered some materials and will apply them. When I solve this "problem", I'll post the results here.

Actually, I had not planned to post on this subject until I had a solution in hand, but thought I would chime in at this time. If I come up with something promising, I may apply it to everything in the cockpit. I like to take airborne pictures, but so far have an enormous collection of pictures of canopy rails, sticks, stick grips, , my hand, wristwatch etc etc.

Bob Bogash
N737G

Matte Black

Try Matte Black it is Flat

The one thing I learned from these various forums and websites is that "flat black" paint ain't flat - not even close. I'm actively working this, have ordered some materials and will apply them. When I solve this "problem", I'll post the results here.

Bob Bogash
N737G

Glareshield Anti-Reflective coating

I promised to post if and when I found a solution to the glaresghield upper surface reflecting in the canopy. I have a solution!

I ordered some black felt through Amazon, cut off a hunk and tested it yesterday. Reflection gone! Works perfectly. Now, I noticed the barest wisp of a reflection from the black rubber U-channel I installed on the aft edge (bought from McMaster-Carr.) (OK - I'm picky.) I'll probably make a final felt installation letting the felt overlap the top surface of the rubber.

Now I give the Glareshield a big thumbs up!

Here's the felt I bought - I have enough now for the whole RV-12 fleet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WFSWC6/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bob Bogash
N737G

Glare shield

We have installed one on our -12. Painted flat black. It works well. Flying it shows no glare or reflections in the canopy.
Very nice product.

Richard

Bob, was curious about your reflection problems in windshield. Flew yesterday in varying degrees of sunlight and shade. Tried to, but could not find any reflection in windshield. Just used a rattle can of flat black. Glad you solved your issue just can't guess what was going on.
Dick Seiders

You got me, Dick. All I can say is Rustoleum's Super Flat Black Anti-Reflective Paint weren't. And it cost a lot more than their plain ole flat black. Maybe I need to take it back to HD and get a refund.....?

Bob Bogash
N737G

Bob, I am just in the stage of getting my glareshield ready for installation and I am very concerned about reflections. I'd like to go with the felt you have found but would like to understand what the best way is to attach it to the glareshield. Did you use glue and if so, what kind? Did you pull the felt around the aft edge or cut it off flush?

Torsten,

I bought some of the felt Bob suggested. I decide not to use it because of the dust we have out here in AZ. I thought it would be a dust magnet. I painted mine with flat black paint and haven't notice any distracting reflections even in the Phoenix sun. Maybe I'm going blind in my old age, but it works for me.

Rich

I used a SEM product 39852 texture coating in an aerosol can for my -7 glare shield. It ends up kind of like a 180 grit sand paper and does NOT reflect light.

The drawback is that people want to touch it and it removes skin cells and leaves a streak then you drag your finger across it. It blows right off, but may not be maintainable longer term. YMMV.

I just used some, er glue - just some dabs across the length of the glareshiedl. To be honest, I'm not super happy with the result - but it works! I have it on my To-Do List to re-do it.

I ran mine to the aft edge. When I redo it (someday), I'll cut about another inch of width and fold it around the aft edge and glue it with some more lengthy dabs. Also for the top. More dabs than I used first time around. I like the look and recommend it - looks like factory made - sort of.

I have enough for half the fleet - if you PM me with your address, I'll send you a strip.

Bob Bogash
N737G

Torsten,

I bought some of the felt Bob suggested. I decide not to use it because of the dust we have out here in AZ. I thought it would be a dust magnet. I painted mine with flat black paint and haven't notice any distracting reflections even in the Phoenix sun. Maybe I'm going blind in my old age, but it works for me.

Rich

Rich,

our dust problem sure is something to consider! I have some of that fabric coming to me and I will have to see if I can think of a way to clean it once installed. If it holds on to dust, it might turn into a tan colored felt pretty quickly and the flat black paint might turn out to be darker and less reflective than the dust covered felt in the long run ...

Thanks for the warning!

I used a SEM product 39852 texture coating in an aerosol can for my -7 glare shield. It ends up kind of like a 180 grit sand paper and does NOT reflect light.

The drawback is that people want to touch it and it removes skin cells and leaves a streak then you drag your finger across it. It blows right off, but may not be maintainable longer term. YMMV.

That sounds like an interesting option. Do you think I could wipe dust off the coating with a slightly wet microfiber rag or would it catch on the rough surface?

Installation option questions...

I've got my glareshield primed, painted, and ready to install. Did everyone use pro seal as recommended to affix the center section of the shield to the canopy frame or something else?

I'm concerned with having to possibly remove the shield in the future. Is the pro seal necessary, or, in lieu of pro seal could you pop rivet the shield on to the forward canopy frame?

I used a tube of 3M adhesive, but I put in an L4-3 every 4" too. It's solid enough to mount a RAM mount ball for my IPad mini.

Glareshield installed today...

Just used LP4-3 rivets. Also completed the canopy seal modification and forward avionics bay sealing. Fuel tank vent mod next.

photo1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that, I had been looking for something to go on that edge, never dreamed that Cleveland Tools would have something for it. I have mine ordered and it is on the way.

Tony, Cleavelandtools has a glare shield edge that fits the glare shield. It gives it a nice finished look on my RV12.

ipad suction.jpg

Glare Shield Edge Trim 54" :)
Item #: GSE54
$14.00

http://www.cleavelandtool.com/

I used rubber edge trim from McMaster Carr - installed very easily - and snug - so no glue required - looks really nice. Cheap too!

P/N 8507K15

Bob Bogash
N737G

Back