What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where Are You Going This Year?

f1rocket

Well Known Member
I've been planning my trips for this flying season with my sons and thought I'd start a thread on other flier's plans. These are great travel machines, even the -12, and it's a lot of fun to get outside your normal comfort zone and explore this great country.

My first trip will be in early June to Branson for some fishing and golf with Ross. It's not a far trip for us, about 350 NM but a good one. Bass fishing in Table Rock and four rounds of resort golf. That's a great way to start the summer.

Second trip will be my annual trek to Air Venture. I love that week. Renewed friendships and total immersion into everything aviation. I stay in a rented house with other RVers, we have a car, and Starbucks is just three blocks away. Perfect.

The big trip of the year will be to Yellowstone and the surrounding area with Alex. Details are being worked out but it will include touching Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, and Utah. That will bring my continental US state visits to 45. I'm just missing Washington, Nevada, and of all states, Mississippi. Don't know how I missed that one.

Here are a few pictures from past trips. Pack up that bird you built and head off into the wild blue yonder this year.

Manhattan and the New York skyline.
Maine 05.jpg

Bar Harbor, Maine
Maine 12.jpg

Mount Shasta, California
paint66.jpg

Kitty Hawk, South Carolina
virginia04.jpg

Eugene, Oregon
paint30.jpg

I'm really looking forward to my first full year as the owner of a flying RV - despite the fact that it's not the one I spent a few years working on. Plus I'm a pretty low time pilot, so this will be an adventure year.

In early June I'll take a trip down to Denton, TX for the LSA repairman class. I'm planning on spending a couple of days at Airventure. My daughter in law has a brother in a college aeronautical program in the Chicago area, so I'd like to pop over that way and take him flying in something a little more fun than a 172. I'm hoping to make a few more trips to visit family and just do some sightseeing.

Now if I can just get my wife to get over her terror whenever she gets close to the plane...

In early June I'll take a trip down to Denton, TX for the LSA repairman class. ...

I've made that trip as well for the same thing. Make sure you call the tower at least 10 miles out. That is one crazy busy airport with a lot of pilots who are learning the English language along with flying. They have radar there so expect a squawk code as well.

Triple Tree Aerodrome is definitely on the list. Maybe First Flight-Kitty Hawk as well. Oshkosh is still up in the air for me.

Planned for this year:

Denver to Tampa (two weeks ago)
Denver to Tampa (house shopping tomorrow)
Denver to SoCal (family)
Denver to Southwest (site seeing)
Denver to Reno (PRS)
Denver to Texas (family)
Denver to Tampa (moving)
Tampa to Reno (race)

And some SARL racing in there somewhere. Just another ho-hum year owning an RV. :)

Aren't these things fantastic?!!

Headed north to our cabin in Atlin, BC in about three weeks. Expect to be there all summer. Anyone coming that direction, feel free to stop by.

Also expect to go over to Alaska once or twice this year, weather permitting.

Greg

Marsh Harbour, Bahamas in 3 weeks.
Oshkosh in July. First time last year, but have to go back again this year for the RV show.
Maybe New England on my way back to Florida. Not really on the way back, but hey, it's an RV.
Triple Tree in September.
Key West is always on my list for a quick weekender.

Good motivating thread Randy thanks. You covered a lot of interesting places.
2016 is a year of an epic trip for me. Last Frontier again. Still working on the route where no or very few tourists set foot.

Also planning to visit France LFVP and zoom over the Rock on Memorial Day. :D

My only big trip planned for this year is AirVenture 2016 for the 30th anniversary of the RV-6. Next year, I'm planning a wee bit longer flight... but it will be via commercial airliner... to Thailand.

"The Best Laid Plans"

Bellingham WA. Family visit :confused:
San Jaun Islands. Get away from family. :)
Germany "Local" flight, Sightseeing (not my RV)
Shelter Cove CA. Backpack Lost Coast :p
Bellingham WA. Family Wedding :eek:
Manzanita OR. Hang a hammock for wedding recovery ;)
Greatfalls MT. Family reunion. :mad:
Kalispel MT. Glacier Park Marathon. :(
Hillsboro OR. Because it is free prime parking and admission to Airshow with plane for our club. :cool:
Laughlin NV. Visit my parents
Priest Lake ID. Camping :)
Cashmere Wa. Birth of first grandchild! :eek:

One year from now, reservations already made for St George UT. All the flying, hiking, mountain biking and Havasu Falls one can do in a week.

Last edited:
In June we are planning to fly from Wedderburn on the east coast of Australia to Broome on the west coast;

2nj9890.png

Cheers

Already done:
Austin to Marianna
Austin to Albuquerque to Flag Staff
Austin to Lousianna

Planned:
Austin to Marsh Harbor (third annual cave diving expleration trip).
Austin to Marianna to Daytona Beach for a training class
Austin to New Orleans for a weekend getaway

Maybe
Austin to Rapid City
A couple more I'm sure!

-Dan

Back