VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-18-2019, 04:21 AM

Summit Racing Equipment has a good selection of in-line fuel filters with AN connections in -6 and -8.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:46 AM

Gotta be a few thousand of these flying around out there:

https://airflowperformance.com/index...e-fuel-filter/
Old 09-18-2019, 06:33 AM

Dan,
That filter is similar to what I have now, and I have two of them - one for each tank, and the way they are mounted might be causing me some errors in fuel flow indications. Or maybe not. It might be just because of where the fuel flow transducer is located - upstream of the mechanical fuel pump, which Ben mentioned in an earlier post is in the wrong place. I was looking for a smaller filter to mount horizontally in a more convenient location. The two filters I have are Phenix Industries inline filters sold at Aircraft Spruce (among other places) and they are about the same size as the AFP filters you pictured. The thought among my KHAO RV buddies is that air can be getting into the mix because the filters are mounted on an upward angle near the fuel selector and high relative to the level in the fuel tanks. My plan is to redo all of that, and relocate the FF transducer downstream of the mechanical pump.
I purchased this RV4 about 3 weeks ago, and have a few things to fix before I start the big job - instrument panel upgrade.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019 Flying
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2019
Old 09-18-2019, 06:35 AM

Paul,
If you have a gascolator in your RV7A, you donít need to also have a separate inline filter. The gascolator does the filtering...
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019 Flying
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2019
Old 09-18-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hersha View Post
Dan,
That filter is similar to what I have now, and I have two of them - one for each tank, and the way they are mounted might be causing me some errors in fuel flow indications. Or maybe not. It might be just because of where the fuel flow transducer is located - upstream of the mechanical fuel pump, which Ben mentioned in an earlier post is in the wrong place.
I flew with my red cube between the electric pump and the engine driven pump for about 600 hours, then moved it to the hose between the servo and the divider. The initial location worked fine at high flow rates, boost pump off, but the latter is much superior in terms of accuracy at low flow rates, or with the boost pump running.

Quote:
The two filters I have are Phenix Industries inline filters sold at Aircraft Spruce (among other places) and they are about the same size as the AFP filters you pictured. The thought among my KHAO RV buddies is that air can be getting into the mix because the filters are mounted on an upward angle near the fuel selector and high relative to the level in the fuel tanks. My plan is to redo all of that, and relocate the FF transducer downstream of the mechanical pump.
I'd relocate the pump first.

There are RV applications with those filters horizontal, and apps with them vertical, per plans. Both work. Plus almost every filter traps a little bubble of air; look at a few of the glass or plastic ones, stopped or running. Doesn't hurt anything, unless an upstream issue is feeding air into the filter, and that's not the filter's fault
Old 09-18-2019, 09:13 AM

Scott,
Thanks for your answer to my question! I do have a gascolator.
RV 7A, Lycoming 0 320 D1A, Sensenich FP propeller
pilotforfun2001@yahoo.com
VAF supporter $$$
Old 09-18-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hersha View Post
Paul,
If you have a gascolator in your RV7A, you don’t need to also have a separate inline filter. The gascolator does the filtering...
I prefer a fuel screen (70 micron or so) placed upstream of the electrical boost pump.

Simplicity is the art in design.

see Amanda Melton for www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 09-18-2019 at 09:44 AM.