What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Family Affair

After 17 years of thinking about building an airplane my RV-10 kit is on the way!

Project has come full circle from the RV to Lancair to Glasair to Lancair to RV. Originally wanted the RV as it is based on proven and time honored construction, went to Lancair for the 4 passenger capacity, to Glasair for the cost and speed, back to Lancair for the capacity and finally to the RV for the proven construction and 4 passenger capacity.

When my wife and I first started talking about it she was not only supportive but excited, even after telling her we would need to buy some tools. All she was concerned about was being able to help with the process. She also advised that if we were going to turn the shop into an airplane factory we would have to clean it up and get organized.

While waiting on the kit, we ordered the practice kit, talked with a couple of builders and started practicing. She says it is a lot like sewing; pinning your patterns together and then sewing them up, albeit with a few more steps and precision.

Riveting seems very simple and easy with an experienced builder by your side but the rubber hits the road when you are on your own. Sure glad we are making as many mistakes as possible on the practice pieces! This morning we decided to practice drilling out rivets and after several ovaled huge holes and finally discovered the best way for us and successfully drilled out quite a few rivets.

Excellent choice! It's a fun project with plenty of new skills to learn along the way.

Sounds like your wife wants to be heavily involved. That will absolutely help move the project forward. Congrats and good luck!

I see you are not far from 52F. If you need motivation or want to look at my -10, would be happy to take you and your wife up in mine.

I see you are not far from 52F. If you need motivation or want to look at my -10, would be happy to take you and your wife up in mine.

Thank you sir, we drove past 52F today on the way to Flower Mound..worked on several HVAC units there in the past.

I'm sure after the excitement of receiving our empennage dies down she will need some "motivation" to keep at it.

CONGRATS!!!

I'm three years into my RV dreaming. Be sure and post a lot of pictures. The RV10 is my RV of choice as well.

blucllrplt -

Really like the family connection supporting the project and adventure of building. Have similar support from the better half, a place to start the project, just need that little nudge to start on a -14A. Where did you find the "experienced builder by your side" to start you down the path of assembling the practice kit?

Back