What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New guy with RV 9A

dareha

Started building a kit plane about 8 years ago- a Zenith 601 and then they started having wing problems. Got rid of it and now just ordered and received the empennage kit for the RV 9A and I'm having a blast! What a neat kit with great quality. I live in Southern Oregon and would appreciate any help from anyone especially from someone living near Medford, ORE. that can give advice. I have no idea who might be the DAR for this area. Which brings up the subject, do most builders go thru a DAR or FAA for their build? I also wonder how many people use a pneumatic squeeze?
Thank you,
Darrell
RV 9A
Medford, Oregon

Welcome, Darrell.
A lot of builders have no choice - their FSDO says they're too busy, hire a DAR
Personally, I loved the pneumatic squeezer.

Started building a kit plane about 8 years ago- a Zenith 601 and then they started having wing problems. Got rid of it and now just ordered and received the empennage kit for the RV 9A and I'm having a blast! What a neat kit with great quality. I live in Southern Oregon and would appreciate any help from anyone especially from someone living near Medford, ORE. that can give advice. I have no idea who might be the DAR for this area. Which brings up the subject, do most builders go thru a DAR or FAA for their build? I also wonder how many people use a pneumatic squeeze?
Thank you,
Darrell
RV 9A
Medford, Oregon

Welcome aboard. The RV line is the epitome of general aviation. If you wanna drive a truck, get a 172. If you want a Vette, any RV will do. Your headed in the right direction.

Last edited:
If you are just starting to build your RV, review the plans and then build the VS before the HS.

The rivets are easier to get to in the VS and once you are finished with that, then move back to the HS.

Good luck!

Personally, I found the pneumatic squeezer a lot harder to control the tool to rivet geometry than a good hand squeezer. I used the nice one from Cleveland. Best tool in the box!

Back