What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beginning Flight Training - Need Suggestions

Aero_Octaveus

Well Known Member
So I have finally officially begun flight training. I've signed on with a flight school and my first Canadian lesson is tomorrow. (well actually second if you count my US lesson in Vegas)

Question is, what recommendations do you have for the beginning student pilot to purchase? (P.S. I have all the ground school stuff....Books, IFR/VNC Chart for my local area, Plotter, E6B wiz wheel, AIM Manual)

Do I need a knee-board? CX2 vs wiz-wheel?, Should I buy a flight bag? Do I bite the bullet and buy a Bose headset now? Etc Etc?

Congrats! You will have a lot of fun, keep us posted on your progress!!!

These are all really questions for your flight school or instructor... they all have their own ways of doing things.

As far as headsets, can't go wrong with the Bose (love mine!) but there are plenty of great and less expensive options.

just fly the plane for now..

get a good headset yes.. bose???

trim is your friend

Ask your instructor for a syllabus if possible, its nice to study what you will be practicing

BEST OF LUCK

there will be bad days...

I found that a knee-board helped with jotting down the occasional noteworthy point from the instructor but not necessary.

By books, I'm assuming you mean "From the Ground Up" , Culhane's manual and the Flight Training Manual (I think it had a purple cover). That should cover your academic needs. Read ahead if you have time. I've seen some students struggle a bit with the meteorology subject areas.

Most importantly, have fun! :D

Cheers,

I went with a cheap headset when I started my lessons and I can't wait to upgrade it. It has worked well for the 5 years I've had it but I've learned that after about 3 hours it becomes more of a torture device due to the clamping force.

Personally, I really liked having a kneeboard for my lessons. I found it very useful for holding my charts, nav logs, and a sheet of paper for writing down things like weather from ATIS, taxi instructions, and pattern entry instructions from ATC. This was all in a Cessna though and now that I've transitioned to a DA40, which uses a control stick like the RV's, I've found that my kneeboard kind of gets in the way.

I'd consider a good headset a must in addition to:

1) A go-pro style camera hooked into the audio. Review each flight with the GoPro video and really understand your mistakes. An airplane is a terrible learning environment.

2) Fly at least twice per week or you'll waste time and money relearning skills.

3) Try and find a buddy at the same school. When they fly you observe from the back seat. When you fly they ride back seat. Very easy to learn from each other's mistakes this way.

Do not invest in an expensive headset until you've had a chance to try different ones. While many people love their Bose headsets, many more don't like them at all. I personally don't like them.

Yes, you want your own headset. Asking what kind is akin to asking boxers or briefs... Everyone has an opinion, and none of them are wrong.

FWIW, I have the same David Clark H10-13.4 that I started with in 1995. I wear it 5-6 hours a day and find it just fine. For under $200 on ebay, you can have one too. Make sure you get gel earseals. But, there are a LOT of good choices.

"Stick and Rudder" is a must read at our flight school ... fantastic perspective on flying! A++

I got my license in 2012, but have rarely flown since. Recently went and did some additional training with a totally different instructor. (Patty Wagstaff and her instructor Allan). I felt my instructor for my license was good, but to get another perspective from 2 others was eye opening for me. I did 5 hours with her school and learned a lot.

Not suggesting you move around with instructors, but you might plan a couple flights with someone else for just a different perspective.

The clark headset served me fine for training, and now is a 2nd set for my own flying when I want to take a passenger.

Chair fly everything you plan to do and did, sounds funny but is free, flying isn't.

Congratulations on starting the flight training. I started mine just down the road from you 3 years ago this week, finished up in February of last year. Here are a few of my observations along the way, most of which have been mentioned by others already.

1. It seems that the #1 lesson in flight training is learning how to wait. Waiting for Alberta weather to cooperate is a big one. There seem to be many more opportunities to delay than to proceed. You wait for planes, instructors, examiners, other students, vehicles blocking hangar doors, dispatchers for fuel, gaps in heavy circuit traffic, winds to shift and a whole lot more. I had extra delays in getting my medical and also had to wait out a shoulder dislocation (lost balance pulling myself up to dip the tank on the school C172). With this in mind, you may want to get your medical done sooner rather than later. If there is any risk that getting a medical is going to be anything but easy, it is much better to learn that early.

2. Fly as much as you can, I found gaps of 2-3 weeks between flights really slowed retention of what I was learning. I find currency to be a big challenge while building. I'm trying to fly once a week now as I build, pushing for 100 hrs PIC before my plane is ready. I am getting 3-4 hours a month now and that really helps with retention. While training, I really only felt I was learning/progressing when I was getting lessons once a week or more.

3. Avoid stressful flights, your flying really suffers when you're tense and stress makes for a lousy learning environment. One of the best opportunities for distractions, at least in my experience, are communication issues. Noisy radios are a serious irritant, I've scrubbed flights and lessons because of it. It is much better to cut a lesson short or cancel it than it is to have one that is only going to stress you out. Marginal weather falls under this as well (unless it falls under my next point). For the comms, buying a headset and getting away from the school's dubious pool of headsets was a big help - although I just replaced the first cheap headset I bought because it was failing and I was getting nothing but noise with a full throttle. I just picked up a pair of CrazedPilot CP-1ANR headsets and they are wonderful. They'll also work great in my plane.

4. Don't measure your progress against anyone else. When it's all said and done and you have your fancy license booklet, it doesn't really matter how many hours it took to solo, how much you went over the minimum requirements or how much extra you spent on your instructor. All that matters is that YOU learn to fly the plane correctly in all imaginable situations. Really, the more unusual situations you can run into with an instructor in the right seat (rather than on your own with no support), the better off you'll be. One of the most terrifying realisations that I've had is turning final at night with a gusty direct crosswind, a recent active runway change and the potential for wake turbulence from the B1900 I just had to divert for and trying to remember how to do a crosswind landing and knowing that the only person that was going to get the plane down safely was me. At that moment I would have gladly gone back in time and paid for an hour of the instructor's time to do that landing with a safety net next to me.

5. Take the time to enjoy the experience. It's a pretty special thing you're learning to do and there are many moments that are great to experience.

6. Yep, trim=good. So is using your rudder to stay coordinated (or not when you need that). Also, keeping the push/pull of the throttle the right way around is much easier on your instructor. That one was probably just my own mental block.

I see now, reading back to your original question that I probably didn't answer much of it. So you can read this as a list of things I wish I had known when I started. I'm still a rookie so I'm sure the list will grow. Really, flying is probably the best learning opportunity I've ever had.

Enjoy the adventure.

Last edited:
I got my license in 2012, but have rarely flown since. Recently went and did some additional training with a totally different instructor. (Patty Wagstaff and her instructor Allan). I felt my instructor for my license was good, but to get another perspective from 2 others was eye opening for me. I did 5 hours with her school and learned a lot.

Not suggesting you move around with instructors, but you might plan a couple flights with someone else for just a different perspective.

I agree with this advice. When I was doing my flight training I showed up one day and they said "Your instructor isn't back yet, would you like to go up with Doug?" I said "yep, no problem". This happened once more with a Scottish guy named Gary. I liked all three flight instructors but I really liked flying with Gary! Sometimes you just have a better connection with some people.

Headset

Garet

Don't buy a cheap headset.

Get a Light speed Sierra ANR and enjoy it.
If you don't like it I will buy it from you. My wife loves hers and we need
another.

Carr in Langley BC

The best advice I can give is; submerse yourself in it if you are really serious about getting your ticket. Too often, life distractions will get in the way and deter your mission. I know from experience. My first instructor on day one looked at my venturi equipped Cessna 172 and said " is that a air horn?" I laugh about it now but, the idiot was completely serious. It didn't take long for me to learn he was just building time towards his commercial ticket....at my expense.

If you have the time and finances, look into an accelerated curriculum. After ten years of floating by with repetitive student endorsements to be legal and flying light sport craft, I scheduled my final training with Sportys. Camped out in my RV in Sportys parking lot and within one week, got the twenty hours I needed, X-country's, and check ride in six days. Probably the first week in my life I didn't enjoy a beer. Every minute I devoted to study and training.

I'd consider a good headset a must in addition to:

1) A go-pro style camera hooked into the audio. Review each flight with the GoPro video and really understand your mistakes. An airplane is a terrible learning environment.

2) Fly at least twice per week or you'll waste time and money relearning skills.

3) Try and find a buddy at the same school. When they fly you observe from the back seat. When you fly they ride back seat. Very easy to learn from each other's mistakes this way.

This is like gospel IMO I'd say the same thing for recommendations except I'd add getting a copy of x plane or some other simulator and fly that too so you can pause it and think about what your doing and or fly on bad weather days. Also HAVE FUN if your not having fun you'll get frustrated and won't learn well. Don't be afraid to ask the instructor to fly the airplane on occasion while you do radio work or work the VOR / gps so your not overwhelmed. While trying to learn those tasks.

Instructors tend to forget how overwhelming it can all be at first.

I'm a big fan of Rod Machado and his books.

Ditto. He has a way of writing that is not only educational but very entertaining.

One more...if you don't "connect" with your instructor, find another. If you ever dread an upcoming flight you have the wrong guy.

My first instructor on day one looked at my venturi equipped Cessna 172 and said " is that a air horn?" I laugh about it now but, the idiot was completely serious. It didn't take long for me to learn he was just building time towards his commercial ticket....at my expense.

If he didn't already have a commercial license, something was very wrong...

2. Fly as much as you can, I found gaps of 2-3 weeks between flights really slowed retention of what I was learning. I find currency to be a big challenge while building. I'm trying to fly once a week now as I build, pushing for 100 hrs PIC before my plane is ready. I am getting 3-4 hours a month now and that really helps with retention. While training, I really only felt I was learning/progressing when I was getting lessons once a week or more.

I think this is one of the most important aspects of training. Things "click" much better when lessons build upon previous experiences. The fresher the past experiences and learnings, the more effective each lesson is. It is also very important that you spend time reflecting on each lesson. What did you do right, what did you do wrong. What will you different next time. Use research to fill in the gaps. Don't stop until you can either check off the item as solid or make decisions on what steps you will take to be sure you get it; More research, ask the instructor to address again, look for tips from others, etc.

One other important item is to take responsibility for your training and progress. Don't just show up and wait to be instructed. Use the vast resources available to learn on your own and come to each lesson asking questions to fill in the blanks. During my recent instrument rating work, I would constantly read on-line educational materials and experience-based stories. I knew exactly what I needed to learn and made sure I understood it or asked questions or repeated lessons that required more work for me. I was a partner in mapping out my training. Sure, the instructor had a punch list, but I was a participant in the process as I knew where I was solid and where I needed more work.

Larry

Last edited:
Flight sim

Get a flight sim for your computer. I bought the microsoft flightsimX many years ago with an older CH yoke and pedals. My stuff is 2005 vintage and works just fine. I used it extensively for IFR training and I would fly the lessons on the flight sim 2 times before the actual flight and it work out wonderfully. I was on track to finish my IFR ticket in the minimum time, until my build got in the way.

Wow...Lots of great advice

Wow...Lots of great advice. Didn't think there would be as much a response as there was. Thank-you for the tips.

So here's where i am at. Finished lesson 2 this morning, booked again on Saturday for lesson 3. Hoping to fly twice a week, weather permitting. Instructor walked me through what he wants me to use. i.e wanted me to learn the E6B, he gave me a kneeboard and said it's only really needed once I get into navigation but I can use it at any time. (I find its great to jot down my notes before I fly - Like my Radio Calls). He let me use his Lightspeed Zulu headset...yup, I can see the value straight away. Hmmmm maybe Zulu 3 instead of Bose...:cool: And trim is my friend...good tip!!

Thanks for all the tips...I am putting ALL of them to work for me.

It's not an RV but its a start. (Hey my first car wasn't a Porsche either so why expect my plane to be one)
IMG_3218.JPG

Last edited:
Good for you, Garet! Keep at it.

One of the best flight training programs in the country is the Royal Canadian Air Cadet Flying Scholarship program. I mention this for two reasons.
1) Cadets go from ab-initio to licensed pilots in the course of one summer, typically six weeks
2) It's through this program that I got my license many, many moons ago.

Intensive training is the very best way to maximize learning and minimize cost. I can't believe I'm writing this, but what the heck... If cash flow is a problem for you in maintaining training tempo, at today's low interest rates I would suggest it is far more cost-effective to borrow the money to finance intensive training. The cost of borrowing isn't cheap, but likely considerably less than the cost of having to buy additional flight hours as a result of having to scrub off the rust that accumulates when flying infrequently.

Yeah, I know, it sounds crazy, but with rentals pushing $200/hour one wants to get one's license done with closer to the minimum number of hours.

Additional reading materials I would recommend would be a copy of the Canada Flight Supplement (CFS) and the Transport Canada Aviation Information Manual (AIM).

For the purposes of writing your exam, the CX2 is easier and a little more fool-proof than the "whiz wheel" while under stress. Check around the local bulletin boards etc and see if somebody has a used one for sale. And that leads me to the next big recommendation...

Hang around the airport, walk down the hangar rows and talk to people who are out working on their airplanes. Let them know you're starting on your license. Learn through osmosis. Spend time in the hangar of the flight school and help the mechanics work on the airplanes - be prepared to get dirty. Knowing what's going on under the skin helps you be a better pilot and may well help you should an emergency situation ever arise. More importantly, knowing the mechanics of the airplane will be of huge benefit when you are doing your pre-flight inspection so you can catch things on the ground before they become emergencies in the air.

As others have said, immerse yourself in it. Some of the happiest days of my life have been the days when I dove into the deep end and learned about aviation through intensive experiential learning.

well---

Like Garet, I 'officially' started lessons on Thursday. I had to do the 3rd class medical, and after some additional paperwork, the AME thinks its a go. So---a local instructor is teaching me in a friends borrowed C150. DIFFERENT!! Having flown in RV's and Lee's Rocket for years, having to really control this thing is different. BUT---he says the transition to RV will be better.

How was it? Well not bad for someone rusty, and frankly alittle nervous but I got over that pretty quick. So, how does this pertain to RV's? Well alot of you know that I kinda stalled on my 7 build for a couple of reasons. No excuses, but frankly motivation to work on it was the Major hold up. I guess mentally being unsure if I could get a medical was a factor, even though several people that know of my situation were positive about the outcome.

So---it looks like the regional office gets to make the decision, and once the ticket comes back, I'll be motivated to get this thing done, with workload on finances controlling the rest of the build instead of my mind.

Tom

One of the more unpleasant lessons I learned while training was simply how to land the aircraft. Other items on the curriculum were never much of a problem.

I had a number of bad landings - think hard bounce, and/or multiple bounces. The instructor to my surprise never really tried to correct this, and I was afraid I was going to damage the aircraft and/or injure ourselves.

Then one day in frustration I observed carefully as the instructor landed the plane. He slowly pulled the yoke back almost to his chest over the runway. Bingo, light bulb finally lit.

I was trying to land with too much airspeed, and bouncing off the excess energy. Once I learned to level off over the runway and keep gradually pulling back with the stall warning blaring, I started greasing in landings.

My suggestion is, if you have something you're not getting on the first or second try, just state straight to your instructor: I can't seem to get X right, can you please explain what I need to do to fix this? Don't wait for him/her to suggest a fix. The CFI is probably not a mind reader. (And in his/her opinion, it may be perfectly normal for a student to have problems with X, while to you it seems like you're never going to get it right...)

Just my $0.02.

-Paragon
Cincinnati, OH

Good advice Canadian_Joy. I will be sure to do that...I imagine I can pick up some good tidbits here and there. One thing that I notice so far about EAA meetings and Vans Airforce is everyone is willing to offer support and advice. There is much less ego involved with beginners I find then in other hobbies. I appreciate that....Building an RV and trying to get your license is not an easy feat, help goes a long long way.

Tom...It sounds like you and I are in very similar positions. I hope that we both can get the license done and motivate us to push forward on the build!!!

Get the manual for the airplane you fly and know it inside and out.

Know all the frequencies for the airport you fly at and practice areas.

Study all your checklists at home.

Study all your maneuvers at home before you do them.

If you do those things right there you will be in the top 25% of flight students.

Garet---all of you guys are the motivation. Rosie with his Caribbean trips, Vlad flying to ---everywhere, and everyone else that was laughed at by others that thought building their own plane was crazy.

You guys keep it up!
Tom

Completed my first solo

Well happy to report that I have completed Ground School and wrote my PPL written exam, so I finally have time to get back on the build.

But more importantly August 28, 2017 marks my first solo!!! :D Its strange how quickly things fall into place for a student pilot. I was feeling so out of place on landings not long ago, then all of a sudden things click. Next thing you know your all alone in the plane with so much elbow room and your knocking out circuits all by yourself!! Sad that the first solo is over so soon....Looking forward to all the future solos :D:D

IMG_4790-resize.jpg

Phil, that made me remember a training event that brings a smile.
I was working on my instrument ticket and had a friendly IFR student in the back of an Arrow.
Never had that opportunity during primary training eons ago. T'was all 150s and tommywhackers.

I dont recall the exact details but the instructor had intentionally set up a challenging approach situation. The rear seater was yapping on about something while I was sweating bullets and I snapped "Shut Up!!"
That was my lesson in 'sterile cockpit'. :)

We laughed about it later.

Last edited:
I am still amazed that I can go to the airport, grab the keys, and they let me take the plane out! Wow, that is pretty amazing. I am getting close to finishing my training and hope to take my check ride by the end of September - depending on work.

It has been enjoyable, difficult to remember everything for the written, and a pain scheduling a rental plane. I can't wait to finish mine!!

Have fun - what a dream!

Congratulations on your solo flight and crossing that hurdle. That is a day you will never forget. I recall mine vividly. Felt like a virgin on prom night. Excited but also very nervous!

Back