What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

blue piston skirts?

tmbg

Well Known Member
anyone ever seen anything like this before? All four pistons have blue skirts. I'm not sure if they were blue going in, or if they somehow became blue during operation, but this is not something I've ever seen!

CWpSo4QWoAAsIrq.jpg:large

It's on the top and bottom, yes. Almost looks like the whole skirt was blue all the way around and it wore in some spots, and got covered up with brown around the pin holes

I haven't ever run this engine. In fact, I believe the last time it ran was 1992.

Not commenting on the blue colour, but are you happy with the condition of the top ring land. I have seen that sort of condition on pistons from detonating cylinders.
Some slight scuff marks, but it doesn't look bad.

Suspect

There is a reason I asked the question above and it is, that in looking at this piston and it's condition. I would have to think it has been running for some time with Hi-blow-by. The wear pattern at the top of the piston, inline with the skit 90* to the wrist-pin line and the skit below that angle shows a lot of blow-by and looks as if it were running for some time in that state. The color of the blue on the skirt is the color of the die in 100LL. It would make me guess that the 100LL that blew-by the rings and onto the skirt would dry there and accumulate over the time from when the blow-by started tell this engine was shut down and you found it there. Just me guessing from a picture and no testing. Yours as always, R.E.A. III #80888

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas guys!

This engine is getting torn down due to cam corrosion, but the blue piston thing was a new one for me, and everyone I've shown it to as well.

Back