What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying J-3 Cub compared to RV-8...

David-aviator

Well Known Member
...what a difference!

This J-3 was built in 1943 with a 65 HP Continental engine, flew in it today with a friend giving him a BFR and got a little stick time. (I was 4 years old when this machine came off the assembly line)

We waited for cool air knowing the mission would have been dicey a week ago with temps in the 90's. Even at that it took a long time to get to 1000', I want to say 15 minutes but it was not quite that long.

I was most impressed with control response compared to any RV. WOW!! We are so lucky to have what we have. The Cub feels like a bomber, it is all work keeping it level. The front seat was most uncomfortable, my knees were up and back to get on the rudder bars. No wonder it is soloed from the rear seat.

The fuel gauge was a wire rod sticking up from the tank about 6" forward of my knees. We took off with door open and closed it later getting cold, what a blast from he past. :)

The RV does just about everything better than the cub.....but.....try flying an RV with the door open, a leg hanging out in the breeze and a cup of joe in your hand. My hangar mate and best bud has a cub and I have to say I envy him a bit. Very cool bird.

I love the RV but the Cub wins hands down for view below.
Maybe it is also cheaper to fly, but to my mind the RV is just great.

There's not much different between a Cub and an RV-8. Yeah the wing is up top and a lot bigger and covered in fabric, and doesn't have flaps, and yeah, you solo from the back, ands its blind on final with a passenger, and the instruments are minimal, and the fuel tank is in from of the windshield, and yeah, it's a lot slower, and floats a not more, and can get away from you quicker, and doesn't get you anywhere quick at all.

But the Cub is a Cub and there is little else that has that feel. There is the "RV Grin". There is also the "Cub Twinkle". Look at someone who's just flown a Cib for the first time or the 500th. You see it in their eyes ;)

Welcome to the Cub Club !

I got my tailwheel endorsement flying an L-4 - a military version of the J-3 - same plane but with a "canopy cage" extending back for a great view. So the view from the back seat was almost as good as in an RV.

I'm very glad I flew the L-4. It was a simple airplane yet taught me how the taiwheel works; taught me why we have a rudder; has very limited sight out the front - especially with an IP sitting in the front - so you get serious exercise using your peripheral vision; has very simple systems so that 90% of your time is working out the landings and not learning how to work complex aircraft systems.

And I kind of liked the cork and wire gas gauge ;)

Back then, Hampton Airport was a grass field with a few hangars and a chow shack with the paint peeling off of it. The ambience was perfect.

If someone aspires to flying the Warbird Big Iron I'd definitely suggest the Cub so that you get used to limited forward vision.

A Champ is my choice.

After all the time, money, blood, sweat, tears and effort, there is no way I am going to fly my -8 with only a tailwheel endorsement, a few hours of rental tailwheel plus transition training. Not to mention the common problem many of us have where we stop flying because we're too busy building.

So I bought this Champ.
https://drive.google.com/a/yhpb.com/file/d/0B-veElQ93zutRHhrVmVBSXJLMUU/view

It is a fantastic design and blast to fly. It has definitely made me a better pilot. I bought it planning on selling it when the -8 is done. But it's too cool.

So I'll either figure out a way to afford to keep it or share it with a few others. I already have lots of interest.

Currently restoring a champ

Love my RV-7 but wanted another project, learn different skills and fly something at the other (affordable :) ) end of the spectrum (low and slow, door off etc) so I now have a 7EC restoration project in process. Plan on keeping both each for specific missions.

Good friend of mine has a -7 and a cub and wont part with either.

A friend bought a 1940 J-3 and I helped him ferry it home last weekend. Having never flown one, I flew it 3.6 hours and three landings from the front seat and aside from terrible visibility in the 3-point, I enjoyed it.Everything happens so much slower in a Cub and with the windows and door open, it reminds me of driving around in a Model A. Going slow, taking in the sights, and experiencing the smells.

RV vs. Cub

EXACTLY - All of the above! Thats why I've decided to sell my RV7A QB project and I'll be picking up my Legend Cub sometime this week. I'm updating my RV6A to a new (to me) glass panel and it still provides the RV grin every time I fly her. Best of all worlds! You can also fly the Legend from the front seat (just like the 8) and its not a 75 year old airplane!

Different birds, different mission - But ALL FUN!

Daddie let me fly

Sam,
Just read both of your articles. Well written and I can relate to both stories. I have an RV-8 and me and a few friends own a cub together. I have experienced exactly those same two stories.

I have two young boys my oldest is six and he already has stick time in the cub. I can remember my first flights with both of them. They aren't quite as old as your daughter but they know the basics of up and down etc.

I also have taken pilots who are exactly on the same path as your friend with over 2000 hrs in complex planes and when they get on the ground they look at me and say, "Wow everyone should learn to fly in these!, this is real flying". Just as you said you do not need to say a word because you already know. It is amazing to see young and experienced pilots faces after flying in a cub. It is usually grinning ear to ear! I just can say it as eloquently as you can. Well done and too true!!

Your daughter has obviously picked up the talent with the pen too!! If you guys did not read his articles go back a couple posts and read them. It will inspire you to take a kid flying and hopefully start their passion for aviation.

RV-8 v Cub

I now have 1,300 RV-8 hours; loved every minute.

I now have 50 Carbon cub hours; loved every minute!

One is great to yank and bank (guess which one!)

One is great for a 800' grass strip in the country (guess which one!)

Both are great for a good landing and a beer!

Back