What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Preheater switch

[email protected]

I'm New Here
It is cold. What are you guys using far a GSM swithc to turn on your preheater with your cell phone? I bought one called "smart switch" on ebay, but after trying 4 different Sim Cards It still wont work. Anybody have one of these and what Sim card are you using?
TIA JOhn

I use the Switch Box which is advertised in VAF classifieds. Came with a T-Mobile sim card. Mine works inside the hangar using the small antennae. Comes with another antennae if you need to locate it to a better reception position. Works like a charm. (I am not connected to the company, just use the product)

Welcome to VAF John. I just ordered a cell phone switch from Reiffpreheat.com. I'll repost when I get it and provide a review.

I've been using a GSM-Auto switch for the past couple of seasons and it has worked well. I set up one channel to turn on the hanger heat and another to turn on the oil sump heater.

I have been using a T-Mobile SIM card that works well, but was a little fussy to set up. It's very important to follow the instructions that come with the switch.

Ultimately, we hope to bring WiFi to the hanger complex. If we do that, I will switch to a WiFi thermostat that has more capability, lower maintenance, and no SIM card issues.

Good luck,

Reiff GSM

I have been using the Reiff GSM cell switch with T-Mobile for two months, and it works great. The unit activates with one call, and sends a text message UNIT ON, call it again and the unit will shut off with another text message UNIT OFF.

Chad

Pirep preheat

I had one of the first reiff cell switch boxes and they had to tweak it a bit the second version is great and for 80$ with sump heater purchase it was a great deal. I love the setup and though I have to plan ahead a little it was easy to get into the habit of doing.

If you (or your home, office) are close enough to your hangar, within say a few miles, you could whip something up with an Arduino or a Raspberry Pi and a couple of xbee modules pretty easily and avoid the monthly $.

I had one of the first reiff cell switch boxes and they had to tweak it a bit the second version is great and for 80$ with sump heater purchase it was a great deal. I love the setup and though I have to plan ahead a little it was easy to get into the habit of doing.

As of January 1 we are selling the switches to anyone. You no longer have to buy it with a preheater or be a prior Reiff preheat customer.

$189... $89 if purchased with a preheat system.

We are now on version 3. Same device as V1 and 2 but we have the maker configure (program) it the way most users want it. Simplifies it tremendously.

Tech support?

Hey Bob,
Is there a trick to get the tech guys to respond? I just got the switch this week and the blue light doesn't come on when the unit is on (the supplement to the manual says it should be on when the relay is switched on). Email via their web site has gone unanswered.
Thanks,
Don

As of January 1 we are selling the switches to anyone. You no longer have to buy it with a preheater or be a prior Reiff preheat customer.

$189... $89 if purchased with a preheat system.

We are now on version 3. Same device as V1 and 2 but we have the maker configure (program) it the way most users want it. Simplifies it tremendously.

Yes Charlie, I installed a WeMo a couple of weeks ago in our hangar. It works great so far. The app seems to be reliable and I check it occasionally since I'm paranoid that some power glitch might have turned on the outlet and the heater is running wild. Apparently it will not come on without a positive command from the software.

We have broadband wifi in the hangar. That is what it requires, no cellular capability.

Hey Bob,
Is there a trick to get the tech guys to respond? I just got the switch this week and the blue light doesn't come on when the unit is on (the supplement to the manual says it should be on when the relay is switched on). Email via their web site has gone unanswered.
Thanks,
Don

Better to contact us directly with questions like this, we are not likely to see it on a forum.

They are a Malaysian company and were shut down for a week for Chinese new year, just like many US companies shut down the week between Christmas and New Year.

The issue was a lead wire to the LED popped loose from the terminal block. Easy fix.

Just wondering if anyone has used a "Thermo Cube" switch for their engine preheater.

It looks like they have five different temperature ranges available, three of which might be good for winter use.

Living in a very cold place, I'm not sure I would want my preheater staying on for weeks at a time, but in certain climates, where it gets down to freezing only rarely, this might be a way to go.

Back