What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Long "direct IFR" routes

APACHE 56

Well Known Member
Got a question about filing long ?direct? IFR routes. I am planning on flying from Melbourne, FL to Anniston, AL a trip of a little over 400 nm. I want to file direct which will put me through Orlando CL B and a bunch of restricted/MOA airspace. Don?t want to mess with victor routes especially since I have just spent a bunch on installing a GTN 650 to reside with my dual GRT HX?s. Getting to the real issue, I?d like to file a flight plan and have it in residence in my system before l take off. Having just finished an IFR refresher course I was told (and have verified several times) that ?it doesn?t matter what you file you ain?t gonna get it.?

What would you frequent filers suggest?

Thanks,
Don

A tip I got that helped me a long time ago. Include a fix in each ARTCC. One along your route in JAX center, ATL center, etc.

You can file direct but that bugs me! It shows that the pilot was too lazy to even try.

At least make an attempt to figure out the correct routing. Many of today's flight planning programs and apps will give suggested routing (which can be also be found in the AF/D "green book"). If you have no luck finding that just throw in some MAJOR VORTACS along your desired route. As you mentioned, a direct route will put you through Orlando class b, flying right through a class b almost NEVER works because of the high volume of arrivals and departures. This is the very reason we have preferred routing.

Also, if you are going to some obscure airport that's not easily recognized, you may want to throw the closest major airport in there just before your intended airport. This helps the controller figure out where you're going. I know the routes from my airspace to many major airports in the country, so if I see that in the flight plan, it is easier for me to formulate the correct routing. Making things easier for controllers usually makes things easier for you too. Hope this makes sense.

Personally, for that route, I'd probably file Melbourne direct TAY (Taylor) direct LGC (La Grange) direct destination. There are too many SUAs enroute to even guess what ATC might give you as a clearance. ATCs involvement would be a mixed bag lottery. They might just grease the skids and get you right through every one of those SUAs OR you may have to deviate at ATC's direction around some or all of them depending on time of day and what the military is up to.

Sometimes I look at Fltplan.com to see what other guys have filed.

Preferred routes are great if you're going to the identical airports listed and in a high performance (read jet or turboprop) aircraft for whom they are typically intended.

Sometimes I look at Fltplan.com to see what other guys have filed.

This, but more than what other guys have filed, fltplan.com will give you what ATC has approved for flights between the airports you are using.

will put me through Orlando CL B and a bunch of restricted/MOA airspace
You can't fly IFR through an active MOA/restricted airspace. With regard to the class B, maybe you could just go over it :) RVs are good for that!

INSTRUMENT Flight Rules

Remember, the route you file for under IFR is to help make you predictable for ATC if you go lost comms while IMC.

Know the regs, altitudes (minimums, crossing, reception,etc), etc.

I have been a stickler for getting it right every time, and in a career of filing IFR "to the max extent practicable" for every flight, I have only had my filed route changed a handful of times.

Since you are generally flying Northwest, you want to file for even altitudes. Along the below route, V437 needs 5000 going northeast, so look at winds and pick the best altitude of 6K or 8k I would think.

If it was me I would do the following (this is just a very rough swag without studying the route much)

MLB-AWINY-V437-KIZER-V267-CRG-V243-(VNA)-V243-LGC-V168-LINTZ-ANB

This is only 467.7 nm vs 424.5 for your direct route...but that will not stay direct for very long. If you file something more along the lines of what would be expected, you have a higher likelihood of flying what you filed...and at least you would be prepared for it. The benefit of the above route, the LINTZ is an IAF. If you lost comms, you could still fly the route and shoot the approach, and ATC would know exactly what you would be expected to do.

It is 40 miles different, ,10% of your trip distance, 15 minutes at 160 kts.

Finally, think of the actual proficiency you would gain, the increase in your IFR abilities flying my route, vice just "filing direct".

I planned this route just for practice. At first I thought LampsGuy was nuts. I assumed South Alabama and thought CRG was out of the way. After spending a couple of minutes on it I think Lampsguy has it right. That is what I would file with a small exception.
I don't think the VNA and second V243 are required just like AYS would not be required. However both would be required in the 430 since it doesn't understand Victor airways.
I would also use GOSSE instead of LINTZ since it is closer and still an IAF.
More than likely they would let you go direct before either one if it is VMC.
KMLB-AWINY-V437-KIZER-V267-CRG-V243-LCG-V168-GOOSE-KANB.
Easy peasy

GPS Direct

Flying out of the San Francisco Bay area, the airspace is, well, complicated. Sitting on the ground one day getting ready to launch, and a guy in a Cirrus calls ground and requests a GPS direct IFR route to Portland, Or (PDX). That's over 480 NM, and he wanted to draw a straight line between them, right through the SFO Bravo and the Oakland Charlie. There is no way SFO is going to give you an IFR route right through the approach to 28, so why ask for it? If you fly the Victor airways for the same flight your flight is 16 NM longer, and at least it shows the controllers that you actually cared enough to look it up.

You can always request a GPS direct once you are enroute, and they may very well give it to you.

I file the routes suggested by my flight planning software, usually with slight modifications, then ask for shortcuts along the way. Works well for me.

Show your experience by planning well

I am an enroute controller and nothing slows down an IFR flight more than a poorly planned flight plan. You are doing the right thing by seeking input now and planning ahead. I had a pilot in mountainous terrain the other day call and request his IFR plan to a destination 400 miles away. He filed direct thru moa's at an altitude below the mia. Needless to say he never got a clearance. Most controllers are too busy to figure out a long range flight plan for you.
Use published routes near your departure point and arrival point, you can file direct for the bulk of your route. Do not file thru MOA's. Only file thru class B if you plan to be above it. Request direct once established on your route and if the MOA's are cold, controllers will usually approve as direct routing as they can.
Have a great flight.
Craig Brenden

It is not a lazy flight plan to file direct. You should use it when a large part of your flight may be VFR but either the departure or arrival will be IFR. However if your traveling in Florida on the east coast you can anticipate having to use the Victor routes, the same applies from DC to Boston. It does make you predictable if you go NORDO. My last 6 flights in three weeks were all IFR direct. We normally are in contact with approach controllers who are not interested in where your going but keeping your path clear and passing you on to the next controller in you route. If you filed direct have a chart handy and be prepared at anytime to handle an ammendment to your flight. This becomes easier the more often you use the system. I have not experienced any slow down on a direct plan. It is a tool at your disposal.

True

At first I thought LampsGuy was nuts.

I am

I don't think the VNA and second V243 are required

They are not, I put the VNA in parenthesis to bring attention to that. Not required for filing, but required for some systems that do not recognize Victor airways (as you say). Plus, I always bring attention to enroute heading adjustments (either at a navaid or fix) of more than a few degrees (6 specifically).

Personally, I am a gadget geek and love technology. Flight route planning is not one of them. I like the good old rule book and chart method every time. Why? You will pick up so much "extra" info that is useful. Route planning software may get you there quickest, or most efficiently, but the whole reason I fly(for fun, not work) is for the experience, and charts are a big part of that. If you fly for a living, chances are you don't have much choice, you fly a given route required by some governing entity. If you fly for fun...keep it fun! As you plan this while looking at charts, you will see extra frequencies, airspaces, etc. You may not remember it all while flying, but if you actually looked at the whole route while planning, some may stick!

File it, fly it, and have fun!

Last edited:
Back