What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Are Andair Fuel Selector Valves Repairable?

jaustinmd

I've got an Andair FS20x4 fuel selector valve - about 6 years/500 hrs old. Recently, when I shut the valve off, it still allows a slow, steady drip of fuel to flow through the fuel line to the carburetor.

I have a tee between the valve and the carb with a Curtis quick-drain, so I tried cycling the valve multiple times and allowing full-flow through the quick drain so as to hopefully flush out the fuel selector valve, but it made no difference.

I don't see any mention of a overhaul/repair kit for these valves when I looked at Spruce and Andair's website. I've emailed Andair for information, but does anyone know if these valves are DIY repairable, repairable by Andair, or do you simply have to replace the valve body?

Andair Fuel Valve Rebuild

I just had a leaking Andair valve too, but it was out of the top valve stem. There don't seem to be any rebuild kits offered. I tried to get mine apart to install a new o-ring, but couldn't disassemble it without special tooling. I bought a new one.

Though the valve should stop the flow of fuel, there should be no fuel flow to the carburetor with the valve open unless there is some demand for the fuel. I suppose it could siphon but I've not heard of that happening in the past.

My -7A has fuel injection but I rarely turn the fuel selector to the off position.

Maybe others with a similar setup to yours could chime in...

Though the valve should stop the flow of fuel, there should be no fuel flow to the carburetor with the valve open unless there is some demand for the fuel. I suppose it could siphon but I've not heard of that happening in the past.

My -7A has fuel injection but I rarely turn the fuel selector to the off position.

Maybe others with a similar setup to yours could chime in...

I'm one of those heretics with a high-wing plane. I also have a gravity-fed AeroInjector throttle-body carb (no bowl or float). The mixture control will certainly reduce fuel flow enough to kill the engine (Jabiru 3300), but it does not completely shut off the flow. Therefore, if the fuel selector valve does not completely stop the flow, I get a small but constant seepage of fuel through the carb with a subsequent slow drip of fuel - not good!

Back