What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

strobe power pak location

jimbo

Well Known Member
Patron
Wondering where people have been placing their Whelan strobe power unit in the RV9 or other side by sides?

Haven't ordered the nav/strobe lights yet, just planning ahead. Been reading the comments on LED strobes with interest. Looks like the AeroLeds (NS-90 + Suntail LN 210 total $1100) are a $175 price premium over the Vans system 6 (Whelan at $925). Seems like the extra $175 may be worth not having to soak as much juice up and run heavier gauge wires.

Comments out there?

Thanks,
Jim RV9A

Check this out

The PULSAR EXP lighting kit is available in the Accessory Catalog at Van's. I ordered a set for my RV-12 kit and have to say that I am impressed. These are the first wing tip lights that I have liked - they are beautiful. Finally somebody has updated the really old stamped aluminum junk that is the standard for aircraft wingtips. Check it out!:cool:

Go with the LEDs . . . .

. . . .. . that's what I did. For only $175.00, your problem about where to mount the power supply disappears (there isn't a power supply). Smaller gauge/non-shielded wire. Lighter weight. You also avoid future replacement of strobe tubes.

My vote is also for the LED's

vs Vans system 6 with the Whelan strobe power unit. Weight savings: about 2 lbs.

I was thinking this way and Dan made me see the light.

Jim
slow build RV9A

Half pregnant

When I was building the LED lights where just coming out. My wing position lights are LED's but the strobes require a power pack and the tail light does not have LED's. (http://www.airplanegear.com/skybright.htm)

The power pack that came with mine is small and I mounted it under a door in the baggage compartment floor.

However, if I were building today, I would simply install the LED strobe/nave lights and forgo the power pack. They are lighter, use less power, and have a life expectancy that is much longer than my plane.

If for some reason I was building and I was going to install a set of strobes that require a power pack, I would use the van?s mounting bracket and put the power pack behind the baggage compartment bulkhead. (That wasn?t available when I was building, thus my creative solution.)

BTW, my ELT is under the baggage compartment floor on the right side. The door is secured with large thumb screws so the ELT can be accessed without the use of tools. This was done just in case I have an accident and need to get to the ELT.

Between the seats

I mounted my whelen power pack between the seats. I removed one side cover from the flap actuator. Run the flaps full down then set the power pack on a 1/4 inch spacer and align it nicely straight. Make sure the wire connectors are at the top! It won't work well the other way. Hold it all in place and have a buddy run the flaps up and down to insure it fits. Match drill through the base plate and the cover on the other side once you are satisfied with the fit. Remove and dimple the holes in the panel for a 8 screw, countersink the bottom of the power supply to accommodate and install plate nuts. Attach power supply with countersunk 3/8 #8 stainless screws. Put the cover back in and admire. You will have an elegant location,out of sight, and easily accessible if needed. The best part is you will have brighter strobes than the led ones for less money:)

I put mine on the last wing rib, forward of the spar. I used a shielded two conductor wire to the far strobe. My 6 is tail heavy and wanted it as far fwd as possible.

Larry

A trash can. Ditch those old heavy relics and order a set from Paul at flyleds.

Bob burns

Rv-4 n82rb

:) Whelen microburst.
I was thinking about buying a set of those to replace my traditional (heavy) Whelen strobes until I read this:
Product does not meet the requirements of 91.205(c) required equipment for night flight. Airplanes certified for night operation should not consider this product.

Leds

Hmm, interesting. Does that refer to only position lights or strobes and landing lights also. Seems that LEDs would exceed this requirement pretty easily. Confused now....

Wondering where people have been placing their Whelan strobe power unit in the RV9 or other side by sides?

Haven't ordered the nav/strobe lights yet, just planning ahead. Been reading the comments on LED strobes with interest. Looks like the AeroLeds (NS-90 + Suntail LN 210 total $1100) are a $175 price premium over the Vans system 6 (Whelan at $925). Seems like the extra $175 may be worth not having to soak as much juice up and run heavier gauge wires.

Comments out there?

Thanks,
Jim RV9A

I mounted a Nova Strobe power supply behind the baggage bulkhead on a bracket I fabricated. I wanted to keep it away from audio wiring for electrical noise suppression. Not sure if it was going to be electrically noisy or not but I hate hearing the whine of strobes in my headsets for long durations so wanted it far away. Complete strobe system including wiring and bulbs was under $150 as I recall.

Bevan.

Hmm, interesting. Does that refer to only position lights or strobes and landing lights also. Seems that LEDs would exceed this requirement pretty easily. Confused now....

There is no requirement to even have a landing light.
The issue with nav and strobe LEDs is usually coverage; there are specs for brightness in all sorts of directions. LEDs tend to be somewhat directional.

Back