What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtip lens maintenance

alcladrv

Well Known Member
I just replaced my wingtip lenses after they had become mostly cloudy and somewhat crazed after a dozen years. The nice, new clear lenses are great. How do I keep them that way? Plexus? Pledge?

Thanks, Mike

I've restored many headlamps utilizing wet sandpaper (800, 1000 and 2000 grit) and various polishing compounds on wool and foam buffing pads.

Has anyone tried this process on the RV wingtip lens?

I tried to take mine to Walmart and have them polished up. The guy said they need to be on the vehicle. I said it's an airplane, where do you want me to land?!?

Then a few weeks later I saw one of those guys on the side of the road that would brighten up lenses. I took them to him and two hours later they looked like new. I recall it was ~$30.

I use these 3M 39008 restoration kits on the plastic lenses of my VW Golf. They are amazing and allow you to take the surface back to as good as new, even for really badly crazed lenses. I used to re-do the lenses every 4 years or so on my golf, but if you keep your aircraft out of the sun (my car was parked outside) I suspect you won't need it nearly as often.
Tom.
https://www.amazon.com/3M-39008-Hea...&sr=8-3&keywords=3m+headlight+restoration+kit

Harbor freight has a lens restoration kit. Then apply sun blocker......... Yes, the same you use on your skin.

Back