What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leading Edge Redo?

amaris

Well Known Member
I was wondering what the tolerances are for the leading edge. The pieces I bought has one elevator that's not as nice as the others and wondering if anyone has experience trying to fix this at this stage. If I pull the edge rivets and try to re-roll, will it help or is the risk not worth the effort since I'd have to replace the entire skin (or worse, the whole elevator) if it becomes worse than it is?
Thanks!

IMG_2861-e1472837643184.jpg

IMG_2860-e1472837630813.jpg

I have not done this, other than building my own. This seam shows very little once it is on the airplane. While this is not very pretty, my concerns would be if you fixed the "puckering" the existing holes may not match up again. You could leave the holes and drill new holes, respecting edge distances, but I am not sure that it would be worth it.
I doesn't look so far out of whack that it would contact the HS, but a trial fit might be in order.

I suspect the color of the paint makes it looks worse than it really is, which isn't bad at all.

Back