What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tank Builder

BryanArd

Hi folks, I?ve been out of the RV building fun for a few years. I?m jumping back in with an -8QB! I can?t remember his name, or if he does it any more, but I had a gentleman in California (I think) build my -4 tanks about 10 years ago. I want inverted fuel in the left tank, and I don?t want to modify the tank that comes with the QB kit. So, I would be willing to trade someone my QB left tank for their tank parts from a standard kit...provided I can find someone to build my inverted tank!

Thanks, Bryan

Isn't the modification for inverted flight simply substituting a flop tube for the fixed tube in the tank, along with a bracket inside to keep the flop tube away from the sender?

I would talk to Van's and see what they recommend. If you really need to build another tank, I might be interested in doing this work.

Isn't the modification for inverted flight simply substituting a flop tube for the fixed tube in the tank, along with a bracket inside to keep the flop tube away from the sender?

I would talk to Van's and see what they recommend. If you really need to build another tank, I might be interested in doing this work.

The sender would need to be relocated to another bay. Either way it would not be a hard task to do. You could do this in a day for sure.

It?s a little more involved than relocating the sender. The stock pickup tube is mounted on the access plate, where as the inverted flop tube is mounted on the wing attach bracket on the nose of the tank rib. Anti-hang up guides are riveted inside the tank to keep the flop tube from getting stuck, and a trap door is installed on the second rib to help keep fuel in the tank while inverted. It can be done, but access holes (LEAKS!) have to be cut in the baffle. I?d rather pay someone to build the tank for inverted fuel from the start! Having built tanks (stock and inverted) before, I reaaalllllly don?t want to do another one!

Thanks, Bryan

It?s a little more involved than relocating the sender. The stock pickup tube is mounted on the access plate, where as the inverted flop tube is mounted on the wing attach bracket on the nose of the tank rib. Anti-hang up guides are riveted inside the tank to keep the flop tube from getting stuck, and a trap door is installed on the second rib to help keep fuel in the tank while inverted. It can be done, but access holes (LEAKS!) have to be cut in the baffle. I?d rather pay someone to build the tank for inverted fuel from the start! Having built tanks (stock and inverted) before, I reaaalllllly don?t want to do another one!

Thanks, Bryan

Yep I have done both as well (only went inverted on my left side). No worries if you don't want to do it again, I feel you on that one...

Hi folks, I?ve been out of the RV building fun for a few years. I?m jumping back in with an -8QB! I can?t remember his name, or if he does it any more, but I had a gentleman in California (I think) build my -4 tanks about 10 years ago. I want inverted fuel in the left tank, and I don?t want to modify the tank that comes with the QB kit. So, I would be willing to trade someone my QB left tank for their tank parts from a standard kit...provided I can find someone to build my inverted tank!

Thanks, Bryan
It was probably Evan Johnson. He did my fuel tanks and did a great job. I'm not sure if he's still doing them. It was the one thing I outsourced to someone else.

Wow, thank you for the info. I didn?t know there was problems since the last time I used his services! I?ll try one of those places mentioned in the thread. Again, thanks!

Back