What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interior Painting Questions

Brett H

1.) I previously painted the interior using the Sherwin Williams Jet Flex WR and Harbor Freight "purple HVLP spray gun". Now that I need to paint some of the smaller interior pieces such as the canopy frame, would it be better to switch the Harbor Freight Touch Up HVLP Gun or stick with the purple HVLP spray gun (i.e. the nozzle size is 0.8 mm as compared to 1.4 mm)?

2.) When using the Flightlines Interior Baggage Trim package, how much of the fuel tank is covered? Namely, what if any of the tank should be painted?

Thanks.

Brett H
Columbus, IN
Working on the canopy installation

Personally, I wouldn't overthink this and would move on using the purple gun. With the fan width control and the paint flow screw, you can adjust it down to a reasonably small pattern.

Brett,
As for the carpet kit, the side and the top of the tank will be covered. The front of the tank (behind the passenger seat) will remain exposed.
Alex

I've got the perfect answer for you. Check out my video (was for my own documentation purposes) of me test-fitting the interior kit to find out what needs to be painted :) The two things I failed to mention in the video is that the entire turtle deck skins are exposed.

Link: https://youtu.be/CWkU74i3h4k

Off topic, but worth mentioning.. I ended up going with Rustoleum 2X gray from Home Depot.. after reading good reviews of others using this as well.

Rustoleum 2X

For what it's worth, I used Rustoleum 2X sprayed over Aircraft Spruce rattle can zinc chromate. After spraying the zinc chromate, I waited a few days before spraying the 2X. I am very happy with the results. Looks great and has proven to be extremely scratch and scuff resistant. I gave the 2X a week or two to harden before resuming work inside of the canoe.

Had a very slow leak in one of the break actuators which leaked break fluid onto the paint. Wiped it up and surprisingly, no discoloration or paint removal. Amazing - we'll see how well that area does long term. So far = excellent paint.

Thx rcarsey. I had the same question and was going through the flightline pictures to try and figure out what needed painting. You video was very timely!

:)

Did you etch/prime before using Rustoleum? Does Rustoleum adequately protect bare aluminum?

I scuffed the surface with maroon scotchbrite pads, sprayed with EkoEtch (phosphoric acid), rinsed, dried, wiped with a blue microfiber cloth from Home Depot .. with acetone, dried.. Then sprayed with EkoPrime.

For the surfaces that I painted with Rustoleum 2X, I lightly sanded because I did not care at all about the "finish" of the primed surfaces.. some were orange-peely, some were very rough to the tough.. a light sanding made the surfaces a little more flatter and normal..

That all said, The Rustoleum 2X that I used did say it was a primer & paint. I have sprayed bare aluminum with it.. its stuck.. but I won't know if its any good until the metal goes through a few expansion/contraction cycles. I've found plenty of places where my primer fell off after the winter because I apparently didnt do a good job in corners and crevices.

Addendum:

One other question I was wondering about, which was answered by the documentation that came with my interior kit was the WEIGHT of the panels:

Sidewall kit: 4.08lb
Carpet kit: 4.05lb
Baggage Trim kit: 4.12lb
TOTAL: 12.25lb

You can EASILY make up for this weight by going on a diet for a couple months before you start flying.

I used rattle can grey primer on the tank and interior painting all surfaces. I then covered that in satin clear rattle cans for a very durable and nice looking finish.

I used/use Rustoleum Self-Etching primer and then coated with their 2x satin grey. Their new style nozzles work great in all angles. My first airplanes I did with an HLVP gun (still have it), but the rattle cans make it too easy to pass up and work well.

Back