What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need to verify engine limits

togaflyer

Well Known Member
Im programing the G3x for my IO 540 D series. Are you setting any temp limits color, or lines for the EGT, Manifold pressure, and fuel pressure.

A strange feeling came over me tonight. I suddenly realized that I have a completed airplane sitting in my hanger.

I usually don?t set any limits for EGT or Manifold Pressure. Fuel pressure I set a Low yellow or red around 19-20 and a high yellow at 30 and high red at 35.

POH

Many RV10 builders have graciously posted their POH on-line. In several of them they have listed all the limits they set. In setting my limits, I started with POHs I found on-line and then compared to my engine manual and then made a few tweaks after I got flying.

Do a Google Search and you should be able to find several.

There is no upper limit on egts to set. The value only tells you how close to the port the probes are. The closer the probe the higher the number and the faster the probe reacts to change. The down side is the closer they are, the faster they burn out. What is important is when it peaks and the balance between cyl. The number that happens at really doesn't mean much.

Bob burns
Rv-4
N82RB

If the engine is certificated, the FAA Type Certificate Data Sheets will have most of the information you need here: http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/Frameset?OpenPage
If you have access to the Lycoming (or other manufacturer) Overhaul or Operating Manuals it will also be in there.
There has been much discussion about EGT's on this forum and it's pretty widely accepted there is no upper limit. You won't find one in any of the engine limit info, either.

Last edited:
Im programing the G3x for my IO 540 D series. Are you setting any temp limits color, or lines for the EGT, Manifold pressure, and fuel pressure.

A strange feeling came over me tonight. I suddenly realized that I have a completed airplane sitting in my hanger.

Congratulations on the completion. You could set a redline on MAP of 31" since there are special procedures if atmospheric exceeds 31", and if your ram air inlet is so effective to create a boost, you would have other issues. :cool:
I agree with Jesse that you only need limits on fuel pressure.

Set CHT to YELLOW at 380 and RED by 400 or 410 at the most.

EGT, no limit.

Fuel as others have posted.

Back