What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heated seats vs regular heat?

rv7charlie

Well Known Member
I doubt that I'll ever fly when ground temps are sub-40F, though I have made a few x/c flights when it was below freezing at altitude.

Just wondering if anyone who flies in the more temperate areas (below the ice belt) who's omitted regular heat muff sourced heat & opted for only electrically heated seats/vests?

I can design for the extra electrical load; I'm just interested in whether electric seats/clothing can *replace* (and/or be better than) regular cabin heat.

Thanks,

Charlie

I would rather have cabin heat than bun warmers. Heated seats feel nice but don't do squat for fingers and toes.

I had heated seats and never really used them. My problem was never my buns or back, as they were up against the seat and trapped heat. It was my hands and feet. Even with the cabin heat full blast, I still got cold sometimes when it was super cold. Cabin heat is a must. Heated seats are a waste IMO, but I see a lot of people insist on having them on here.

No heated seats and I removed my heat muff as unnecessary. But I live in Houston and rarely fly at temps below freezing. If its in the 30's, I wear a jacket.

Heat muff both sides a must anywhere ground level temps get below freezing. I only put one on the passenger (wife's) side and with the battery box in the middle my feet get cold.
Wife's feet say warm because she stays home when below freezing.

I think it also has a LOT to do with how well the canopy is sealed, cabin heat doesn't do a lot if there's a inflow of cold or outflow of warm air. On a slider the roll bar to canopy is easily sealed with sticky back foam, I'm not sure if it flows in or out as mine has always been sealed. The side portion above the longeron sucks air out, air sucks a rubber strip against the canopy fairing to seal it and if you don't have a seal it will suck your shirt sleeve. The aft portion of the canopy doghouse over the slider rail tends to suck in. Not as familiar with the tip-up configuration.

I have a single heat muff and heated seats and use a mixture of both below 30 degrees, on a sunny day sometimes I'm in short sleeves with both heats off and a little fresh air blowing in. I've also been in airplanes with cabin heat and heated seats and still been cool. I used to wear insulated coveralls and hunting boots in a C150.

The folks that seem to think that heated seats are "a waste" all seem to be hailing from pretty warm climes, and might not understand the concept of keeping the body's core temp up.

In response to the OP who is hailing from the south? we rarely sued the seat heat we installed in the RV-3 when we lived in Houston - unless we were travelign up north or at high altitudes with sub-zero temps. Now we tend to use the seat heat a lot since we have much more real winters here in western Nevada, and we are flying much higher on a regular basis.

Cabin heat is nice for the toes, but we like to pump some therms into the core with the seat heat to keep from really freezing. The best thing you can do if you're cold? Wear a hat - 50% of the bodies heat loss is through the top of the head. Sure, fingers and toes get cold, but they won't kill you.

Oh - and yes, we run the heater full blast in in the winter in all our planes to keep lower body warm. Would never take them out.

Paul

More nice things about heated seats:

If you have a sore back, they are worth their weight in gold. I know.

or if your backside is getting numb from sitting too long, turn 'em on. Helps keep the blood moving.

Just my $.02 worth, but those are also 2 of the reasons that we started carrying them on our web store... my old bones need the heat.

Yeah, and they keep the wife happy too. Just that alone is reason enough.

Less complicated solution?

Cycle riders have some cool solutions, battery powered even.

No extra hassle of wiring, breakers, and worry about overloading the electrical system.

Also, no carrying of the extra weight for all that part of the year that the seat heater isn't needed.

Some good choices here:

http://cozywinters.com/battery-heated-clothing.html

Yeah, and they keep the wife happy too. Just that alone is reason enough.

Keeping the wife happy #1 on my list of why I'll have heated seats. NOWHERE on that list is because I now live in Michigan; they were in the plan even when I lived in California. I think not having adequate heat in the airplane just because you live in a warm climate is just as shortsighted as not priming because you live in the desert. I'm building mine to go places, and not necessarily down low...;)

Heated seats feel nice but don't do squat for fingers and toes.

Oh really? The purpose of a heated seat is not to keep your butt warm. It's to keep your body core warm. If your core temp is nice and toasty the blood flow will warm your toes and fingers. Same way with heated jackets, keep the core warm and the blood flow will distribute the heat. I use both on my BMW K1200LT and they work like a champ when the weather is COLD and the ride is LONG.

Second suggestion is wear a hat. I was always told if your toes and fingers are cold put on a hat. Most heat loss is through your head. I kept a wool watch cap in my helmet bag for years.

I have both, and agree both are nice to have. Choosing just one, I would definitely pick cabin heat over seat heat any day. Of course, the Vetterman exhaust with mufflers produces copious amounts of cabin heat - so much so that I have never yet run the cabin heat wide open for more than a minute or two, even in the chilliest of midwest winter weather. I have a heat muff on only one side of the crossover exhaust, too. Vetterman said their exhaust system with a heat muff over one of the mufflers makes a bunch more cabin heat available than the standard heat muff, and boy were they right!

The value of heated seats may be higher in a tandem-seat fuselage (-4, -8, Rocket) where getting hot air all the way back from the engine compartment isn't as easy.

Once i'd tried heated seats in a car in winter, I never wanted to go back. I made the mistake of touching the heated steering wheel in a friend's Audi last winter, and now I want that on my next car too... Probably wouldn't care about either of those if I lived in SoCal or Texas or somwhere it's warm 12 months out of the year.

The folks that seem to think that heated seats are "a waste" all seem to be hailing from pretty warm climes, and might not understand the concept of keeping the body's core temp up.

In response to the OP who is hailing from the south? we rarely sued the seat heat we installed in the RV-3 when we lived in Houston - unless we were travelign up north or at high altitudes with sub-zero temps. Now we tend to use the seat heat a lot since we have much more real winters here in western Nevada, and we are flying much higher on a regular basis.

Cabin heat is nice for the toes, but we like to pump some therms into the core with the seat heat to keep from really freezing. The best thing you can do if you're cold? Wear a hat - 50% of the bodies heat loss is through the top of the head. Sure, fingers and toes get cold, but they won't kill you.

Oh - and yes, we run the heater full blast in in the winter in all our planes to keep lower body warm. Would never take them out.

Paul

That is exactly my thoughts, we have the heated seat and hardly ever turned the heater on. I feel the heated seat keeps my core body warm and as a result we have hardly ever turned on the heat from the muff. Of course my wife uses it a lot more than I do as I am typically not that bothered by cold.

I have both in a -7A. I rarely use the heated seats. The wife uses it all the time. She likes it. That is good because I installed them just for her.

I was on a car trip last weekend. I discovered the heat was great for the tired back. There I was, AC blasting and I had the seat heat on.

I left Florida this week on the way back to Denver and had the double pipe heat Muff on full blast and the seat heat on low before I got to Cedar Key. I travel up high to save fuel....and it's cold up there regardless of what the surface temp is. These aren't Cessnas....18k is just a short climb away. Put in BOTH....in my opinion.

First, I don't get cold. So I may not be a good judge.

I put in fleece seat covers, so they help a lot. Second, wrap your heater muff, not your exhaust, with exhaust pipe wrap from SN auto parts store. That will keep the heat in your muff feeding to the cabin.

We left mid Michigan on a sunny 6 degree day (ground temp) and I was in a sweatshirt up at 9,500' for the entire flight to the Carolinas.

Back