What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dream RV-7A

SinCityJets

I am in the process of getting ready to build an RV-7. I have searched for hours and hours for a consolidated source, but I could not find one. YMMV. I see a lot of new products on the market since I got my -10, and am hoping for some good input. If you could copy the below list and just add your suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. The plane will have a slider and the engine will be a 180hp IO360 Lycoming.

Electronic Ignition:(SDS, EFII, etc)
Vertical or Horizontal Induction?:
Which Cowl: (stock, Sam james, etc)
Prop: (Hartzell, Whirlwind)
Strobes/Nav Lights:(fly LED's, etc)
Which Landing Lights: (baja designs)
Interior: (Aero, Flightline)

In addition, what mods would you suggest to the plane (gear stiffener, handle mods, switches, engine mods, EZ Cool)

I appreciate your input!

Our Dream RV-7A

We are within a month (we hope) of flying ours. It was a QB project we bought, but ended up doing over much of the previous owner's work.

Penn-Yan modified ECI Titan IO-360, 9.5 to 1, converted from O-360, horizontal induction
Superior cold air sump
Dual P-mags (came with kit and engine)
Christen inverted oil
Airflow systems oil cooler
Sam James extended cowl with Bill Lane plenum
Modified Vetterman dual muffler exhaust (fits in SJ cowl with no cowl mod and reportedly provides better cabin heat)
Hartzell wide chord composite prop with extended "M" hub
Stein built Garmin G3X IFR panel with GTN-650, G5, Garmin A/P
VPX Pro (came with kit I bought, would normally use C/B's)
B&C 60 amp alternator
Classic Aero full leather interior
Aerosun VX, Suntail, with left wing Duckworks 50W HID (old eyes need lots of help)
Plane Schemers/Evoke Aviation paint (will be done after Phase 1)
Synergy Air build assist
Custom canopy jettison for aerobatics
EarthX battery
Numerous small mods and aftermarket upgrades

This was not a light weight, low cost airplane. It is what we wanted, though.

Best of luck with your build!

Last edited:
Krea,

Thanks for the detailed reply. Would you happen to have a list of those "numerous small mods and aftermarket upgrades."? I have found it is those that really make the difference!

Are you concerned at all about some reported heating issues with the James cowl?

No dual alternator? Dual battery?

Who does the jettison canopy?

Thank you for your help

Chad

I grew up in Redding, that being said you may want a sunshade for that slider. Tip: drill the mounting holes for the slide and Velcro tabs before you install the plexi. That was nerve racking drilling after the fact. Some like the grab handles that mount on the front windshield bar, I just use the center post, longeron dies, Min 10 row oil cooler for Redding :D

Brett,

I have done some work in your current neck of the woods. Retired cop from Vegas. Did some contract work for NVDPS.

Good call on sunshade (can you recommend one)? Longeron dies?? Link to grab handles?

Thank you!

Chad

Brett,

I have done some work in your current neck of the woods. Retired cop from Vegas. Did some contract work for NVDPS.

Good call on sunshade (can you recommend one)? Longeron dies?? Link to grab handles?

Thank you!

Chad

I did the long shade https://kogersunshades.com/ and to bend the longerons http://bullerent.com/experimental/longeron-dies/ I did not do the handles, I just use the center bar, less aft stuff to get in the way of getting out.

are you at Benton? I still have fam there and visit every now and then. have a great day!

What do you want to use the airplane for? VFR or IFR? Days only or nights, too? Aerobatics? Cross-country? Grass fields? High altitude?

Kind of need to know that before making suggestions. Any of these will tend to push the suggestions in one direction or the other.

Generally speaking, keeping the plane simple and stock is quicker to build and gives better performance. Changes can add a disproportionate amount of time to the construction as has been documented here many times. Some of them add a bunch of complexity to other systems, such as changing from magnetos to electrically-dependent ignitions.

And there's almost no change that does not add weight or cost, in addition to the time impact.

One exercise that's worth going through when you get the list you're asking for, is to ask yourself what you can leave off and still accomplish the mission.

Dave

Dave
RV-3B, now skinning the fuselage

* GTN750 instead of GTN650 -- it gives you an extra screen, in effect, and a better keyboard for entering waypoints;
* Double check if a three bladed prop makes it harder to get the cowl on and off;
* With synthetic avgas combos coming up, a very high compression ratio might soon be a problem. And if you do the math, the higher compression doesn't do very much for your cruise speed.

Best,

Ed

Ed, great suggestions. The 750 eats a lot of panel space, and having 2 EFIS screens should add some ease of entering info.

I will do the 2 blade, although I am torn between the aluminum hartzell or the composite.

And just a good ol' 180 horse IO-360 for me. Higher compression, more wear, more service, more expensive.

Back