What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

garmin..what was is like?

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
i remember less than 20 yrs. ago i first heard of garmin because of hand held gps. absolutely the greatest thing to come along for the northwoods. i remember calling for customer support when i was trying to interface my handheld to my pc. 2 guys were on the phone with me for at least 1/2 hour.sounded like a lot of my questions were new to them too. eventually we won. i got the impression i had 2 guys on the phone that maybe had a church basement table set up in the back/storage room of some business and were exercising their passion for electronics, their whole business sitting on that table.wow!
anyone know how/ where it really did start?

They still do spend all the time you need. Even when the answer is in plain English in the manual. Been there done that. Fantastic company.

They still do spend all the time you need. Even when the answer is in plain English in the manual. Been there done that. Fantastic company.

I had just the opposite experience with the Garmin TSO side trying to resolve ?known? GTN-650 problems.

I hear the experimental side is more customer centric.

Carl

100AVD

My first Garmin product I had was the 100AVD that I had installed in a Bell 206BIII in 1988 or 1989.

Steve has me by almost a decade. My first “handheld” Garmin Aviation GPS was the GPSMAP 195

195.jpg

Last edited:
My first Garmin product I had was the 100AVD that I had installed in a Bell 206BIII in 1988 or 1989.

My first Garmin was a handheld 55 AVD with a yoke mount (still have it in fact). IIRC I bought it in 1991.

38282348835_3b38d731af_s.jpg

38454838414_5d487e51f4_c.jpg

Last edited:
Back