What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertical Stab Front Spar Attachment

I'm not familiar with using anti-seize paste

Three Questions:
1. Page 11-08 Step 1 says to apply some anti-seize paste to the contact area of the front spar and VS-01402 bracket. Is there any reason to do this for just temporarily attaching the VS when it will be disassembled later anyway?

2. Does it matter if the parts are primed? Is anti-seize paste not needed in this case, or definitely needed, for primed parts?

3. Where can I find "paste"? Is it the same as "anti-seize compound" or "anti-seize lubricant"? Is it commonly available at auto supply retail stores like Autozone, etc?

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with using anti-seize paste

Three Questions:
1. Page 11-08 Step 1 says to apply some anti-seize paste to the contact area of the front spar and VS-01402 bracket. Is there any reason to do this for just temporarily attaching the VS when it will be disassembled later anyway?

2. Does it matter if the parts are primed? Is anti-seize paste still needed in this case, or definitely needed, for primed parts?

3. Where can I find "paste"? Is it the same as "anti-seize compound" or "anti-seize lubricant"? Is it commonly available at auto supply retail stores like Autozone, etc?

Thanks

1. Not needed for temp. assembly.

2. should be used at final assembly whether primed or not.

3. The products commonly available from an auto parts retailer will work fine.

So I will speculate publicly as to why and be ready to be corrected.

Even with a solid connection it is a bolted connection with the likelihood of some play and flex under flight loads and therefore subject to fretting or wear and the antiseize serves as a durable layer of lubrication to alleviate that effect?

Would the antiseize then be a point of inspection for the CI to be performed later?

Even with a solid connection it is a bolted connection with the likelihood of some play and flex under flight loads and therefore subject to fretting or wear and the antiseize serves as a durable layer of lubrication to alleviate that effect?

Correct.
The movement is very slight but still exists.
That is the reason for the castellated nut and cotter pin on this bolt.

Would the antiseize then be a point of inspection for the CI to be performed later?

If antiseize is used as directed, it should be good for a very long time but there is nothing wrong with doing a regular inspection.

Back