What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ECI Titan IOX-360 cold air sump exhaust

Daida

Well Known Member
Hi Folks out there!

I am building an -8 and currently deciding on Powerplant and exhaust.
I settled for the mentioned ECi Titan and wanted to put a Vetterman exhaust onto it. Vetterman said that their 4 into 2 exhaust will NOT fit with the ECi cold air sump but only with the Superior cold air sump.
As i heard only good things about Vetterman exhausts i came up with this solution:
ECi Titan IOX-360
Superior cold air sump
Vetterman 4 into 2 crossover

Any other solutions out there flying??

Any other good exhaust solution that fits the ECi cold air sump?

Cheers !

Daida

I have a Titan IOX-370 with a four pipe exhaust and the 7 degree ECI cold air sump. The main challenge I've had to contend with is routing the control cables and ended up routing them above the intake tubes and below the oil sump with custom made cable brackets (photos to come soon). The Superior sump appears to be more widely used than the ECI sump and it also appears to offer better control cable routing options. Keep in mind too that the better your engine matches the Vans set up, the easier your control cable set up will be.

I am running an ECi IO-340 with ECi forward facing cold air induction on my 9A. I am using the Van's stock IO-360 lower cowl with snorkel. The snorkel and cowl fit everything like a glove. I am sure my setup is very similar to yours. In fact, I might suggest your setup would be so similar to mine I doubt there would be any differences in the installation. Crossover exhaust does not work with the forward facing cold air induction. I am using Vetterman's 4-straight pipe setup. I did not use the standard Van's throttle cable. I purchased it from Aircraft Spruce. It fit perfectly for my needs but I do not recall the particular part # for the throttle cable I used. If pressed I might be able to find the specific throttle cable part # I used.

I just now noticed you are building the 8. Not sure what the cowl setup would be like for the 8 compared to the 7 or 9. That could be different than my setup after all.

Last edited:
Good to go

Larry knows what he is talking about. Most anything he says is good to go.
We had a IO-360 from E.C.I. with their cold air induction, to put in an RV-8A.
The problem was with the front gear coming down in the middle of the cooling exit there was no room for any pipes to get around the cold air spider and the lower engine mount with the nose gear on it. Larry was right on the money, with his opinion. We got an after market sump. from AERO that is the same if not better than, the Lycon one made for the M-1-B. It has a split sump., the top half is oil pan and the bottom half intake, with the intake port facing to the front. We were then able to put the Vetterman crossover pipes on and have a good set up. If you have a tail dragger, with the 4 into one pipes, you would have even more room. Hope this helps. Yours as always R.E.A. III #80888

Last edited:
@Robert:
i will never question Larry Vetterman's knowledge about anything concerning exhausts!!
I read your answer as you put the Superior Cold air sump on an ECi Titan engine and it fits, correct?

I figure as both engines (ECi Titan and Superior) are Lycoming clones that there is no difference in the core of the engine. Can you confirm that?

thank you all so far!!

No

No, we put an AERO after market sump on, we could have put a Lyco. on but it would have cost a lot more. If you check with Fort Worth, or SanAntone you will find that most of their parts are "P.M.A." direct replacement for a factory Lycon. There is a line of part they each have developed to go into their stroker line of engines that are not. I can not speak to all of the parts coming out of the two, but "yes" most all of the old factory plane old standard engine parts do cross over from one to the other.
As for as I know the sump bolt pattern on any of the "O- IO- 360" engines is the same from any of the three. And as I have said there are just as good if not some better from after market suppliers. Hope this helps. Yours as always R.E.A. III #80888

@Robert

Thank you so far!! A.E.R.O. (www.aeroinstock.com) seems to be out of buisness or they have other problems with their website, but thanks anyway.

I will go for the Superior option.
I will let all of you know how it turned out.

so far!!

Daida

Their Facebook page is still up and does not say they are out of business. As of a couple days ago there was a banner on their website saying the website was being redesigned.

https://www.facebook.com/aeroinstock

"Our website is currently under-construction but is set to launch very soon! For the time being, please contact us at (800)362-3044 for any questions, comments, or to place an order. Thank you for your patience!"

Found that at http://aeroinstock.com/

Last edited:
solved!!!

I bought a Superior Cold Air Sump, drove to the engine shop and trial-fitted it to the engine-core.

perfect match!!

ECi TITAN XIO-360
Superior Cold Air Sump
Vetterman 4 into 2 exhaust

it works!!!

cheers!

Back