What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3A Cross Country Flights

dlomheim

Well Known Member
I have had a chance to fly two cross-country trips in the 3A that I restored and started flying last March. One trip was from OK City, OK to Sioux Falls, SD, and the other from OKC to east of Dallas. On long trips like this, it quickly becomes apparent the small items that still need to be addressed such as a slightly heavy left wing, and the requirement to hold light right rudder pressure as well. I ran the O-290 at 2350 rpm for 7.8 hrs. at 7500 and 11500 and the avg. fuel burn when leaned out was 5.2 gph @ an avg. total of 142 mph). On the shorter TX trip I ran it a bit faster (2500-2550 rpm) w/ avg. GS of 150 mph) at 7.5K and 8.5K; and the fuel burn was 5.8 gph. Overall I'm really happy the efficiency of the 3A, and when that is combined with the $3.00 / gal non-ethanol fuel that is available in Oklahoma for local flying; it make is really affordable to go out in search of the "$20" Burger on a weekend with my RV buds! :)

Doug Lomheim
RV-3A (Flying after 18 month restoration)
RV-9A (still waiting to be finished and flown)!

That's great Doug!
I'm reworking the cowl on my RV-8 conversion from Rotary power to Lycoming, so my O-290 powered T-18 is my current mount.
I agree they run fine and sip gas. With 7:1 compression, ethanol free 87 octane mogas is an inexpensive way to fly.
I recall you were considering a different propeller, what did you end up doing?

RV-3A future prop

Scott: I am still flying with the original prop that came with the a/c since I'm not sure I will be able to keep the a/c into the future since I will be retiring my from full time Reserve gig in March and I'm not sure where I'll be landing my next job, etc. If I end up keeping it I think I'll get a slightly heavier pitched prop so I can run WOT at altitude vs. having to pull it back to 2400 or so...

I still plan on getting back to my RV-9A w/the 13B this winter as time allows and hope to fly it next summer if I'm not working overseas somewhere...

Take care,

Doug

Doug;
Although you could get a prop more closely tailored to your wishes, the prop you have is working, and it's working well. You are using & enjoying the RV-3!
I sure hope your retirement and new job plans work for the better. It would be much nicer to fly the RV-3 on nice days, while working on the RV-9 on those 'unflyable days'.

Back