Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-28-2017, 02:55 PM

Default Can't do both at the same time

Howdy Rob,

I tried that. It is one or the other in Ver 13. When I set CDI to Nav 1 and map source to intfp it displays the green HSI needle just fine. If I do a direct to, the efis sets the CDI to intfp and the green needle goes away. Likewise, if I have a direct to in the intfp and set the CDI to Nav 1, the waypoint info goes away.

What I'm trying to do is use the Nav 2KR as if it were a panel mount VOR receiver for navigation and legality while I also maintain awareness via GPS. Let's say I'm flying a VOR-A to my home field or an ILS to another airport. It would sure be nice to have the distance and brg to my destination along with ETE while I am doing the actual navigation via the VOR. I'd be content with or without a magenta course line and no magenta needle if the green needle still works. Ideally I'd be able to choose which source to drive the autopilot, but it doesn't matter much and I always have the heading bug.

Thanks,

Ed Holyoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by N402RH View Post
Have you tried setting the CDI to NAV1 and then setting the Map Source to Internal Flight plan?

I will make sure it works in the new V15 software.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:17 PM

Rob: Just got my iPad/Foreflight and 5600 linked up. I had older Foreflight system software in the iPad and it wouldn't wifi link with the 5600. Just successfully uploaded a complex flight plan to the 5600---sweet!

In the meantime, sorry if I've forgotten whether this has been asked and answered already or not, but I'm wondering about downloading ADSB wx and traffic to the excellent iPad/Foreflight display. I understand that the MGL system does this and was wondering if such a capability is coming for the AFS?
F1 Rocket #160 flying
Old 10-30-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logansc View Post
Rob: Just got my iPad/Foreflight and 5600 linked up. I had older Foreflight system software in the iPad and it wouldn't wifi link with the 5600. Just successfully uploaded a complex flight plan to the 5600---sweet!

In the meantime, sorry if I've forgotten whether this has been asked and answered already or not, but I'm wondering about downloading ADSB wx and traffic to the excellent iPad/Foreflight display. I understand that the MGL system does this and was wondering if such a capability is coming for the AFS?

The V15 software will do it, beta release in the next few weeks.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:08 PM

Very cool, can't wait to see it in action. I have a hangar mate who has basically a well equipped, VFR RV-8. He flies with a MGL EFIS and routinely uploads "planned the night before" flight plans into the MGL before launch. He then downloads MGL/system ADSB data to his iPad while airborne as he says the iPad display is much sharper. He's designed his cockpit specifically to easily accommodate his iPad. Unfortunately, I don't have enough room in mine as it currently stands, to have room for an iPad except on a kneeboard.

Regardless, once the 5000 series has this capability, I expect it will be a very popular feature. Thanks for the effort.

Lee...
F1 Rocket #160 flying
Old 04-08-2018, 02:01 PM

I'm setting up a Garmin G5 as a standby/backup. I have it talking to an AFS5500 I'm fitting. The Garmin confirms it is getting a valid input from the AFS. The AFS confirms it is getting a valid GPS signal on the serial port.

BUT my map shows me at the north pole. I've checked outside, no snow and plenty of land. So I'm fairly sure there is something wrong.

I tried connecting another GPS and got the same result. I guess there is a setting or something I'm missing. Has anyone got an idea of whats wrong. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Tom
Old 04-08-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomww View Post
I'm setting up a Garmin G5 as a standby/backup. I have it talking to an AFS5500 I'm fitting. The Garmin confirms it is getting a valid input from the AFS. The AFS confirms it is getting a valid GPS signal on the serial port.

BUT my map shows me at the north pole. I've checked outside, no snow and plenty of land. So I'm fairly sure there is something wrong.

I tried connecting another GPS and got the same result. I guess there is a setting or something I'm missing. Has anyone got an idea of whats wrong. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Tom
The obvious question does your gps have a view of the sky. It sounds like your donít have gps satellite sync, usually from being in a hangar.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:41 PM

@ironflight. Thanks for the idea. The G5 clearly shows it has a 3D fix, and the AFS5500 confirms the gps data is valid. I also tried an aera660 that got a fix in the hanger, and displayed it on its own map. I got the same result on the AFS when I connected the 660 as a test. I’ve checked all the wires are connected and in the right place.

I notice the old AFS3500, now efis2, has a setting where to get the lat/long from. But I don’t see anything similar in the new screen.

Incidentally the G5 can’t get a fix in the hanger with its internal aerial. But using an external aerial locks on very quickly. Maybe that’s a reason to use an external aerial all the time, just in case.

Last edited by tomww : 04-08-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:08 PM

Default Calibrate the ADAHRS!

Sorry I've not updated my situation since finishing the paint job.
After some off-line communication with Rob and some "investigating" I decided to re-calibrate the Dynon ADAHRS.
After completing that simple little task I took the plane up for a few test runs.
WALLAH! Everything is working just as it used to!

Using Rob's technique for creating the Flt Plan in the GTN-650, selecting GNAV-1 as the source (on the EFIS), setting the Altitude on the EFIS; launch, clear the pattern and engage the Autopilot - the bird flies beautifully to whatever the flight plan commands.

So, though the issue reared its ugly head after a software update, it was the ADAHRS that was causing the issue. [Will keep that one in the memory banks for future reference.]