What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery Chargers?advice?

AAflyer

Well Known Member
Who has a hard-wired plug to accept a battery charger? I'm thinking of installing a plug inside my -8's baggage compartment, and want to put a charger on my Xmas wish list. I see the brand name "Battery Tender" a lot online, and they seem to have exactly what I need, but am not an electrician, so am unsure of all the ramifications of keeping a charger plugged into my Odyssey 680 for long lengths of time.
Thanks

Last edited:
My 10 has pigtails for each battery coming forward through the baggage bulkhead, pretty much like you described. I used a unibit to make a hole large enough to fit the body of the connector through, then found a rubber grommet to fit the hole, and cord. The grommet is split so it can be put over the cord, which also makes it easier to put into the bulkhead hole.

A bit of Velcro on the plug and bulkhead keeps things from flopping around.

I only use these if the plane has sat for a long time, then just overnight to make sure the batteries are topped off. They did get a lot of use when programming the EFIS. I do not keep a charger on the batteries any longer than needed.

P4190049.jpg

Last edited:
Do a Search

There is a lot about this in the forums. I think you will fine there is no reason to keep a charger plugged into a PC680 it will degrade the life of the battery. I had one for about 8 yrs. and only put a charger on it once or twice a year for less than an hour each time. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I forgot I had such a capable battery, since I bought it almost 2 years ago. Haven't used it yet. Plan on using a "Power Source" to help me test/program Dynon and VP-X.

Back