What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider Canopy Removal

MWH265

Well Known Member
Gents,

What is the best way to remove a slider canopy to work on the plane? By best way I mean most efficient and least likely to cause damage. Looking at how it is built, there are at least 3 different ways to remove it. I bought the anti splat almost a 14 kit and it will be much easier to install without the canopy on. Thanks for the help.

Mike

Easy with 2

Unbolt the roller bracket from the canopy frame at the front lower corners. One person on each side with canopy open, hold the rear edge with one hand and lift the front off the roller brackets with the other hand. Slide the canopy back until the rear guide is off the track. Hope this helps.

Unbolt the roller bracket from the canopy frame at the front lower corners. One person on each side with canopy open, hold the rear edge with one hand and lift the front off the roller brackets with the other hand. Slide the canopy back until the rear guide is off the track. Hope this helps.

This is how I do it. About once a year (for my condition inspection). Makes it much easier to do the inspection of the flap linkages and elevator bellcrank. Also, a good opportunity to give the interior of the canopy a good cleaning.

I made the rear blocks removable, so they can be unbolted from the bottom side. It's easy to remove the bolts with a socket; once the blocks are removed, the whole canopy can be slid off the tracks and then lifted off the fuselage.

20070901_bracket1.jpg
20070901_bracket3.jpg
20070901_bracket2.jpg

Are you referring to the part where the roller slides up into the U-shaped tube that makes the frame? Just one bolt per side? Which would actually leave the rollers on the track?

Thanks for the ideas.

Mike

Are you referring to the part where the roller slides up into the U-shaped tube that makes the frame? Just one bolt per side? Which would actually leave the rollers on the track?

Thanks for the ideas.

Mike

Yep, the rollers are left in the tracks.

Back