What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do the standard fuel caps have any benefits?

jibby212

Well Known Member
I messed up one of the standard fuel cap flanges so I ordered the deluxe caps. they are very nice but I am having a hard time getting over the price(blue collar airplane builder here) so I ordered a new flange for the standard caps and was going to send the deluxe back. Now I have both versions sitting here, they both weigh the same and I like simple. The standard seem like they are going to be around awhile so a future replacement would easy and a small L shaped piece of metal would make a nice tool to open them but the deluxe sure do fit nice. Is anyone sold on the standard caps?

The standard ones work, yes. I have them on the six that I fly.

I installed the deluxe ones on my seven. They open like butter, look great and are worth it to me!

Going forward, you will not be orphaned so long as there are Cirrus airplanes around, because they use the same ones.

Install the deluxe ones. You will thank me later!

:cool: CJ

old style caps....I have found some water in my tanks after the plane sits in the rain. now I cover them with tape when the plane is outside. the last time I did this I used the blue tape but it was a hassle to get off because the paper became wet. so here's my new thought.... what about a circle of silicon with a magnet in the middle to attach to the steel rod in the cap. maybe someone already makes these. if so, let me know. otherwise I'll be hunting for some silicon and a magnet. if you have any ideas, let me know.

also, do the deluxe caps leak?

Last edited:
also, do the deluxe caps leak?

They don't Steve. Though after heavy rain there is a small amount of water trapped by the stem. Before lifting the handle blow the water out of there. Otherwise those couple drops may end up in your tank. After you lift the cap.

Flyleds%20-%201%201.jpg

Going forward, you will not be orphaned so long as there are Cirrus airplanes around, because they use the same ones.

Install the deluxe ones. You will thank me later!

:cool: CJ[/QUOTE]

Good to know, makes me feel a lot better about them.

Install the deluxe ones...

If there's one upgrade I wish I would have done it is the deluxe caps. The standard ones are a pain in the tail to open. I have to wrestle them open every time. Yes I refresh the fuel lube every annual, but still they are a pain.

Michael-

They work

My guess is that 90% of all RVs use standard fuel caps and to answer your question, they work just fine.
I have not used fuel lube but dribble a few drops of oil into the stem as well as the o ring, they open and close smoothly. I suggest that you do this a few times a year as needed to keep the mechanism lubricated.
If you are on a budget and I always was, you have better places to spend extra money

You can adjust (and lube) the standard fuel caps

Away from the home machine,...but if you search for "adjustment UD-3 Usher fuel caps" (pdf)...mustang aero

You will find the info,...

you and the line boy/gal will be much happier.

(Basic idea is adjust the bottom "washer", hold with nut, apply lube)

If there's one upgrade I wish I would have done it is the deluxe caps. The standard ones are a pain in the tail to open. I have to wrestle them open every time. Yes I refresh the fuel lube every annual, but still they are a pain.
Michael-

Are you using the proper procedure to open them? Once you lift the tab, push it down toward the tank. This should make opening them easy.
Mine are very easy to open and I've never gotten water in the tanks.
Approaching 24 years and counting.

To answer the original question, I'll chime in with the others - the advantage of the originals is that they save money and work just fine for thousands of airplane's. If you're looking to build on a budget, they're great!

Proper procedure

Are you using the proper procedure to open them? Once you lift the tab, push it down toward the tank. This should make opening them easy.
Mine are very easy to open and I've never gotten water in the tanks.
Approaching 24 years and counting.

I guess not. I have never pushed down towards the tank after lifting the tabs. I cannot wait to give this a try, as well as a drop of oil as suggested above. After 195 hours you'd think I would know how to operate the fuel caps!

I do sympathize with building frugally, as my airplane was a frugal build. The standard caps certainly perform their function adequately. Just hard for me to open.

Thanks Mel!

Michael-

I went with the deluxe caps, in a few weeks I wouldn't have that money anyway but I sure will have some nice caps, thanks guys.

Back