What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine comparison

What engine would you choose?

• Total voters

ALMARTON

Well Known Member
I would like to read opinions on why choose either Superior XP-360 or Lycoming YIO-360, regarding power output , fuel consumption etc. Thanks in advance for info regarding your experiences
:) - Please after your comments vote in poll above

Last edited:
Price

When I brought mine in 2007 a superior was 20% cheaper.
Competition is good. I'm glad ECI have finally started building 540's as the price of a 540 compared to 360's is hard to justify. Two more cylinders = $20k more
My superior has been faultless.

Hi,

Does anyone knows Superior History to tell. I understand that they were close for some time. Someone has said Lycoming bought them to eliminate competition as they did a better cheaper product. And USA anti-trust law in benefit of competition applied the law and reverted the buy-out restoring the company operational.

Is that it? Trying to raise all the info and comments possible on those engines, they seem a very nice option slightest better performance (power and comsumption - wise).

To little voters on the pool above on which is better...

Thanks

I have a Lycoming, so can only speak about it. I chose 9:1 pistons, AFP fuel injection mounted to a Superior forward sump and Vetterman 4pipe exhaust. It makes good power and good fuel burn.

I think either Superior or Lycoming will be more than adequate for your project. As far as power and fuel burn goes....how you operate them will influence the numbers more, than which one you buy.

Hi Brian,

Most helpful your post. Gave me some idea! Maybe the perfect one.

I have a Lycoming, so can only speak about it. I chose 9:1 pistons, AFP fuel injection mounted to a Superior forward sump and Vetterman 4pipe exhaust. It makes good power and good fuel burn.

I did not know that...:D How if I get Lycoming how can I choose for 9:1 pistons and Superior forward sump?

Are the 9:1 pistons optional from Lycoming factory?

And the Superior Sump, should I buy it from Superior and install it myself replacing the Lycoming standard one?

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
I found a O-360 had it rebuilt by a reliable shop. I had them install the higher comp pistons. I bought the sump from Superior and had that installed at the same time, also I supplied the used AFP injection unit.

I would guess many shops could do this for you. Find a good core and rebuild it to your needs or wants.

You left off ECi's (I)O-360.

In my case, that's what I went with because Lycoming was stupid expensive, Superior was out of business at that time, and ECi offered their engines in kit form.

So yes, not only did I assemble my RV, I also assembled my engine.

As for power output, in stock trim, they are all supposed to be right at 180 HP. Some, like ECi said their engine put out 188 hp. Can I tell the difference? No and I think the only way you can is to put the engines on a dyno.

Nice input Bill!

I only quoted Superior and Lycoming cause they're my only possible options. Reason difficulty to explain at the moment... more external than personal. But always good to have options ! :)

Last edited:
Back