What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baffle Seal

TCONROY

Well Known Member
I'm fitting the rubber baffle seal to the baffles and came across an issue. Where the oil cooler brace would normally go, I have some angles in the baffle I'm not sure how to properly seal. Here is what I've done and I *think* it will work

I'm looking for suggestions on sealing that corner area.

For those wondering why I didn't install the oil cooler brace, Van's recommended not using it since I've mounted the cooler to the firewall.

photo1.JPG

photo2.JPG

Interesting...... I now know why they added that little tray on the RV-10 that seemed to have no value. It does! It allows the RV-10 rear baffle to go straight and not have to deal with those two corners. :cool:

Trevor,
I also installed the cooler on the firewall but still used the brace.
Solved that problem for me. Helps stiffen that corner up as well.

Yup - that little trough is pure genius when it comes to making the baffle seal installation easier - we have two airplanes just like yours, and that corner is a pain. The one we just built new baffles for has the brace, and it made the seal job a piece of cake. Adding it shouldn't be that hard.... (but your solution will work).

Paul

Looks like there may be a problem in the center of the photo, where the long piece goes across the engine, and forms a corner with the little short piece.

photo2.JPG

Normally baffling material meets at a corner where both pieces fold toward each other, here they are folding away------leaving a "V" shaped gap.

I doubt that the farthest right hand piece is going to fill it correctly like you show in this photo-----------at least once the top cowl is on.

photo1.JPG

I cut a larger piece of baffle seal and wrapped it around the corner. Does this look acceptable?

photo7.JPG

photo8.JPG

I cut a larger piece of baffle seal and wrapped it around the corner. Does this look acceptable?

Looks much better to me------but I would defer to Joe anytime, if he can take a look you should take him up on it.

By the way, if you do go with the larger piece, do not attach it to both sides of the corner-------it needs to be free to move around and take the correct shape.

It looks like just attaching to the short section is all that is needed.

Baffle Corner

On my O-360 I got tired of readjusting that corner, and riveted an alum lid over its top, ran baffle material straight across. Sealed up the lid seams with hi-temp. Oil and cyl temps just fine, but probably should be checked asap.

Easily taken back to original if you use all those baffle material holes you drilled to rivet on the lid.

Your results may vary.:)

Trevor,
I made a small box that closes up that space and provides a straight seam for the baffle to go on. Here is a picture during the construction. I also have a lay out picture.
hrbsxg.jpg

The lay out took a couple of times. but this is the general shape of the layout. Your pattern might be different. You still have to cut out for the rib on the back of the regular baffle.s you can see a second box sitting on top of the engine cylinders.
n30xmh.jpg

You can see the opening for the oil cooler and the bottom of the box so it is all sealed in.
2lxuwpe.jpg

Perhaps this would help.. it make doing the baffle back there easier plus in my case does not block the oil cooler.

Last edited:
Back