What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ignition Switch Connectors

drone_pilot

Well Known Member
I purchased the A-510 ignition switch (Start, L, R) for my 7A. What is the best way to connect wires to this switch? Ring terminals? Solder? Fastons? My switch does not have screws, but looks like it could be connected with screws and ring terminals. If so, where do I get the screws and what size do I need?

Just a little bit at a loss to know the best way to tie this thing in.

Thanks!!

I am sure others will respond, I would use ring terminals, screws, lock rings and BLUE loctite. I would not use red loctite on any small screws like that.

Bird

Definitely NOT solder... these switches don't last forever so you need to design for maintainability. Ring tongue terminals with split ring lock washers under the screws provide a pretty trust-worthy connection.

When folks are making reference to "red" and "blue" loctite we might get into trouble since there are several different Loctite products with the same or similar products. For this application I would recommend Loctite 242 small screw thread locker, service removable strength. In this application, as with other switches and circuit breakers, the split ring lock washer is more than adequate. Ensuring the wires have adequate strain relief will also ensure the wires don't apply any rotational force to the screws.

Back