What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Teen Flight (teenagers building an RV-12)

The Teen Flight blog has been updated to reflect the current level of progress.

You can check out the latest progress by going here

The Teen Flight Blog has once again been updated.

We have been making some good progress and are getting very near the end.

Check the latest progress here

Incredible progress!

Looks like you only work on Saturdays - how many hours is a typical work session?

I wish our local school offered this!

Incredible progress!

Looks like you only work on Saturdays - how many hours is a typical work session?

I wish our local school offered this!

Hi Dave,
You are correct. Our regular scheduled work sessions have been held every Saturday. The program originally started in Sept 2009. We operated until school let out at the beginning of June 2010. After a summer break we got back to it this past September and we should be finishing up at the end of this month (February).

Our regular work session is from 9 AM to 3 PM with a 1/2 hour break for lunch. We generally get about 5 hours of productive work time. I would estimate that our total build hours will be in the neighborhood 1800 teenager hours vs. the typical 800-900 that adult builders have done.

More recently, we have done three work sessions (one just last evening) during a weekday evening to complete some work that would have caused a big interruption to work progress during a regular Saturday work session.

We originally started the program with 12 teens. We still have 10 (one moved to another city and the other went off to college). We had everyone attending work sessions until about week 30 when we split the group and began alternating weeks between the two groups because the level of completion begins to make it difficult for 12 teenagers to be working around the airplane at the same time.

All of the adults involved with making this program are very passionate about it and we hope that demonstrating a successful completion will be the catalyst to start a whole movement across the country and maybe around the world. It already is to some degree with the launch of the Eagles Nest program in Indiana by Bob Kelly. Bob and I are in the preliminary stages of making plans for presenting a forum at OSH this summer. We also hope to have the Teen Flight RV-12 there on display and have some of the teens from the Teen Flight and Eagles Nest programs there also.

If anyone has even a casual interest in making a program like this happen in there area, please plan to attend our forum if you are at OSH... there are a lot of different ways to get involved with supporting a program like this. We are excited to tell others about it.

Scott

Last edited:
Blog Update

The Teen Flight Blog has once again been updated with our current status.
We have just a few final details to take care of this coming Saturday , and we are expecting to do the first engine start before the work session is over.

Check the latest progress Here

JUST AMAZING!! 54 days, and almost ready to fly!! A testament to all at Van's. Miss you on the forum. Come and join us again.

First Flight

I would be interested to know when the first flight will be. It is quite a thrill to watch first flights and I would love to be there to see the kids watching too. I suppose there will be some media there to publicize the event?

Scott I think what you guys are doing is great. My name is Jeff Pressley and I have been a high school metal shop teacher for fifteen years. I started an aviation club at Richmond Senior High school about twelve years ago and we have been building and designing rc models ever since. We are currently building a full size primary glider that will be donated to the Ashboro Aviation museum. We are just getting started on this project and hope to have it finished by the end of the year. We are also working on an N3 pup that should fly later this year. I think the city is going to work with us and give us a hangar sometime soon. I have come to the conclusion that I'm never going to get rich at the career that I have chosen but the rewards and benefits to the lives touched is worth more than all the money in the world.
I started flying lessons in 1995 and because of money and family obligations did not get my private pilot rating until 2006. I'm now working on my sport pilot flight instructor rating for the sole purpose of teaching young people how to fly. I plan on doing this and not charging for my services as I have already stated there are some things more valuable than money.
I was in the process of setting up a program to do what you are doing. The difference was that I was going to use a Pietenpol Aircamper because of the cost involved. When I saw what you guys are doing the same thing with the rv12 I decided this would be a better airplane to build because it comes as a complete kit. I have a few friends that I have also helped with their rv's so the design is familiar. The only drawback is the cost involved but have also learned that anything is possible. I have presented this plan to our local school leaders and they are excited about the idea but have to get the lawyers involved. I'm also in the process of talking to lawyer's to set up some private groups to accomplish this. Even if the school can't support this project because of liability reasons I will see this project through privately. This is a project that I intend to grow and teach not only the engineering and skills needed to build an airplane but also teach life lessons and let these kids feel that they are part of something great. I have witnessed the youth become more and more detached because of the electronic devices and different pressures that they deal with on a dailey basis but have also witnessed what programs such as this do for their self esteem and confidence. Just remember that you have the power to change someone's life in a positive way and don't ever let someone tell you that you can't do something ( Even a lawyer ). Scott thank you and all of the volunteers for doing what you do.

I would be interested to know when the first flight will be. It is quite a thrill to watch first flights and I would love to be there to see the kids watching too. I suppose there will be some media there to publicize the event?

As an EAA Flight Advisor, I have to strongly advise against having any kind of media present for a first flight. First flights should have a minimal audience. Just a few people to help in case of an incident.
I would suggest a "private" first flight followed by a public "official first flight".

As an EAA Flight Advisor, I have to strongly advise against having any kind of media present for a first flight. First flights should have a minimal audience. Just a few people to help in case of an incident.
I would suggest a "private" first flight followed by a public "official first flight".

Thanks Mel.
It was already part of the plan.
The actual first flight will be with minimal people (pressure) present, and all of the guys will be fully aware that it wont fly until conditions and everything with the airplane are right (and that they will have to fix it if it is not).
There will then be a public first flight, probably coupled with an open house (hangar?) type of event for other people with an interest, and local media will be invited back.

Keep watching the Blog Here for further updates.

Scott I think what you guys are doing is great. My name is Jeff Pressley and I have been a high school metal shop teacher for fifteen years. I started an aviation club at Richmond Senior High school about twelve years ago and we have been building and designing rc models ever since. We are currently building a full size primary glider that will be donated to the Ashboro Aviation museum. We are just getting started on this project and hope to have it finished by the end of the year. We are also working on an N3 pup that should fly later this year. I think the city is going to work with us and give us a hangar sometime soon. I have come to the conclusion that I'm never going to get rich at the career that I have chosen but the rewards and benefits to the lives touched is worth more than all the money in the world.
I started flying lessons in 1995 and because of money and family obligations did not get my private pilot rating until 2006. I'm now working on my sport pilot flight instructor rating for the sole purpose of teaching young people how to fly. I plan on doing this and not charging for my services as I have already stated there are some things more valuable than money.
I was in the process of setting up a program to do what you are doing. The difference was that I was going to use a Pietenpol Aircamper because of the cost involved. When I saw what you guys are doing the same thing with the rv12 I decided this would be a better airplane to build because it comes as a complete kit. I have a few friends that I have also helped with their rv's so the design is familiar. The only drawback is the cost involved but have also learned that anything is possible. I have presented this plan to our local school leaders and they are excited about the idea but have to get the lawyers involved. I'm also in the process of talking to lawyer's to set up some private groups to accomplish this. Even if the school can't support this project because of liability reasons I will see this project through privately. This is a project that I intend to grow and teach not only the engineering and skills needed to build an airplane but also teach life lessons and let these kids feel that they are part of something great. I have witnessed the youth become more and more detached because of the electronic devices and different pressures that they deal with on a dailey basis but have also witnessed what programs such as this do for their self esteem and confidence. Just remember that you have the power to change someone's life in a positive way and don't ever let someone tell you that you can't do something ( Even a lawyer ). Scott thank you and all of the volunteers for doing what you do.

Jeff,
Thank you for investing your time in developing an aviation interest in young people (That is the main thing that will help flying for fun survive into the future), and for having impact on the lives of young people in general.

I agree the funding question is a big one, but there are a lot of creative ways to deal with it. I think you will probably find that the school district is going to turn away from taking a direct ownership in the airplane. Be sure to get in touch with Bob Kelly, he should have some helpful info.
If I can be of any help (that goes for anyone else interested in starting up a program like this) PM me with your e-mail address and I will get back with you.

The Teen Flight blog site has been updated, including a video of the first engine start.
Only one more work session to go.

Visit the blog Here

The engine start video has also been uploaded Here on you-tube if you are interested in a higher res. version

Last edited:
Scott, how will it be registered, EAB, ELSA or possibility SLSA? I have heard that you could go SLSA since built at Vans.

This blog is amazing. It is very motivating to read of young teenagers all putting their hands and minds together to construct an airplane that will take to the sky. Thank you so much for sharing the build with us.

Just plain amazing! Please congratulate the teens for me. Hoping every one of them will be able to fly after Phase I. And hoping some of them will go on and obtain the sport pilot license in that same plane. That would be VERY neat. Well done!! And keep us posted. Do NOT stop posting updates until a bunch of them obtains the SPL. That would REALLY be an accomplishment!

It took a bit longer than anticipated but we are now ready for our first flight.

You can see the latest update on our blog HERE. It should contain some new photos in the next few days also.

The latest news, as of today, is that we have our insurance in place, which was donated by Tom Johnson of Airpower Insurance LLC in Phoenix AZ. Thanks Tom

Our first flight should be very soon...

A very big moment in those kids' lives!

Between your kids and the guys in South Africa, under Rudi Greyling, a very special nerve has been touched! These kids will never forget this life experience!

A big congratulations to all of them and you.

It is my pleasure to sponsor the insurance for the Rv12 and has been a pleasure to deal with all the folks at Vans.

It was a pretty easy decision for me, just seemed like the right thing to do.

Safe flights!

Tom JOhnson
Airpower Insurance

It took a bit longer than anticipated but we are now ready for our first flight.

You can see the latest update on our blog HERE. It should contain some new photos in the next few days also.

The latest news, as of today, is that we have our insurance in place, which was donated by Tom Johnson of Airpower Insurance LLC in Phoenix AZ. Thanks Tom

Our first flight should be very soon...

Teen Flight RV-12 first flight anouncement

The Teen Flight RV-12, N112TF, made it's first flight Thurday evening.
More details HERE

Fantastic! So, I'd guess flight testing and then the teen builders get their turn in it? The flight testing would make a great subject to teach them about in the classroom.

Good job Scott.

The Teen Flight blog site is now up to date (see it HERE)

Not much new news, but it does contain some not previously published photos taken during our certification inspection.

Scott and all the teens,

GREAT job. The plane looks beautiful. Bet each of you wants to fly now (and start an RV-12 of your very own!)

Blog updated

We are at Oshkosh with our airplane. We are located just North of the control tower right next to the Young Eagles headquarters. If you are there, stop by and say hello. Better yet, attend our forum on Tuesday July 26.

Our TeenFlight video was completed just a couple of days before we left for Oshkosh. You can find a link HERE on our recently updated blog. There is also some new photos of the Oshkosh group getting some dual instruction with CFI Jerry VanGrunsven before heading off to OSH. Check it out

Yes splitty, absolutely right, these Guys have made areally Great and wonderful Aircraft?amazing borssss,:)
Congratsssss?..and Gives a nice impression of the group work.
Good Luck with the First Flight.!!!!:D

TEENFLIGHT II

TeenFlight II has now been underway since the end of September 2011.
I have only participated in this second project at a consulting level, but thought I would post some info. here since I know a lot of you followed the first project closely (Many of you were a big encouragement... Thank you).

TeenFlight II is being staffed by quite a few of of the mentors from the first project, and some new ones that came on board. Also, 5 of the original Team Members have gotten involved as Teen Mentors.

The blog site has recently been getting some updates posted so click over once and a while to check out the new team and check their progress.

TeenFlight update

Hopefully this thread is still getting some views. TeenFlight 2 has been progressively working through the kit and has made lots of progress. Between September of last year and the end of May this year we have been out at the hangar every Saturday for six hours building. As with the first year of the original TeenFlight there was a decision to take the summer off with sporadic work sessions here and there. Here is a quick overview of the TeenFlight progress this year.
September 2011-December 2012: Students and mentors began work on the empennage kit late in the fall of 2011 and the wing kit arrived before Christmas. The right wing was assembled first after the completion of the empennage.
January 2012: The fuselage kit magically showed up in the hangar one morning in early January and all eagerly jumped in to it. The center bulkhead took a few weeks to match-drill etc... but by the end of the month the center section of the airplane was fairly well complete and the forward lower firewall was eagerly awaiting its union to the fuselage. The roll bar was assembled and the entry steps were prosealed against water.
February 2012: The tailcone was mated to the fuselage as was the forward lower firewall. The project really started to look like an airplane. The fuel lines were installed and the flaperons were started. Also the interior of the plane was painted at the Vans Aircraft factory (we at TeenFlight have a very good connection with Vans Aircraft). Mr. Paine came out and wrote us up at the end of the month and his article was published in the this month's edition of Sport Aviation.
March 2012: Our rear window was inserted, matchdrilled and taken out for later use. The left wing was assembled and finished. We are installing the optional lighting kit so the wing was cut open to make holes for the lights. More work was done on the fuel lines and the fuel tank was begun.
April 2012: Our options kit arrived, and the big focus this month was WIRING! It actually took us well into May and there are still things that are not complete. The landing gear were assembled and the cowling started to be ground down to size. Some flight controls were started and the empennage fairing was begun as well. Some restructuring of the program went on as well to provide a more balanced student to mentor ratio.
May 2012: The wings were fitted, and temporarily installed. The flight controls were mostly completed, the flaperons finally were finished, and the fuel tank got its cover. The tail feathers were attached and the cowling was fitted. The canopy was also fitted, and a few monkeys wrestled it (beat it) into submission. Before the program was closed for the summer, the canopy was drilled and the avionics panel was wrinkle coated black.
I'm sure that I have missed a few things but that is the main progression of the build. As always check out the blog. It has the article from Sport Aviation as the first item on the homepage.
Some of the crew from TeenFlight 1 have obtained their student pilot certificates and at least one of them is on track to have his license by the end of the year. In fact one of the TeenFlight 1 builders who is mentoring in TeenFlight 2 is on track to have his private by Oshkosh and there is a chance that he will be flying N212TF into Oshkosh.
TeenFlight will be represented this year at Oshkosh by representatives from both TeenFlight 1 and 2.

TeenFlight to OshKosh!!

One of the TeenFlight 1 students who recently received his Sport Pilot license is flying the TeenFlight 1 airplane to OshKosh with the RV-1 and the factory RV-12 as I write this.

Here is a recent post from our blogspot:

"The TeenFlight crew will be at Airventure! Look for the polished RV-12 with a yellow stripe and cowling. Three students from the first build will be present along with five TeenFlight 2 students. We are having a presentation, hopefully along with a Q/A session, on Tuesday at 8:30am in the Honda Pavilion building# 7 along with the Eagles Nest folks. If you are planning on attending Airventure that day don't miss it. If I get a chance, I will try to post an update halfway through the week, but if not I will definately post one after Airventure is over."

photobucket-4639-1342755257555.jpg

It is a nice looking aircraft. Nice young man flying it also(sorry already forgot his name)

Update

TeenFlight has been working since October on the avionics and the engine. After prepping the engine on a seperate bench, and after installing the avionics in the panel and tailcone (not to mention the various firewall sensors, oil cooler, oil tank, etc...), we hung the engine on the airframe Saturday. The plane is coming along. Next steps include the propeller/spinner, exhaust system, and cowl fitment.

Check out the blog for more information: http://www.teenflight.blogspot.com/

Justin

Looking good!
I got something about an event this weekend but can't make it unfortunately. Darn holiday parties disrupt airport activities...

Tj

Progress

It has been getting quite exciting around the TeenFlight hangar these last few weeks. After completing the avionics installation, updates, and then minor calibrations, we rolled the plane out of the hangar for its engine run. It started right up and ran well. After carburetor tweaking it ran even better. All the systems checked out fine. Since then, we have been working on the upholstery and wheel fairings. Our registration is also being processed by the FAA. After the wheel fairings, we will begin work on painting. The plan at the moment is to paint it like the TeenFlight 1 airplane.

Detailed introduction to RV-12...

HERE is a video of Justin (RVTrumpet here in the forums), one of the TeenFlight 2 program participants, giving a detailed walk around of the TeenFlight #2 RV-12 at Airventure 2013.
I think it will be obvious to anyone familiar with building an RV-12 that Justin knows what he is talking about, and any one interested in the RV-12 should find it very informative.

Good job Justin!

RV-12 up for auction

In case anyone has missed it... The TeenFlight RV-12 #II is currently being auctioned off. Anyone in the market to purchase a nicely built E-LSA RV-12 should check it out HERE

Current high bid amount available on the Van's Aircraft Inc. home page HERE

Last edited:
TeenFlight III

The TeenFlight III project is now under way.

Story about the kick off, and sale of the TeenFlight II airplane (which is funding project #3) can bee seen HERE

Back